Author Topic: Ameraucana?  (Read 3518 times)

Ameraucana?
« on: November 03, 2005, 09:01:32 PM »
Hello.  Sorry if this is a stupid questions but I need some help.  I recently joined 4h and and am excited to start showing some of my chickens.  I bought some earlier this year and was wondering if they are Ameraucanas.  They have the beards, ear tufts, and lay the bluish eggs.  If she is would this be showable, and what color would this be considered?  Thanks for the help! -Jordan

bantamhill

Ameraucana?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 09:40:50 PM »
Is the brown hen toward the front have a tail? I see willow legs on her that would eliminate her from the Ameraucana class. There is a post below that has a link to a chart comparing Ameraucana, Araucana, and Easter Eggers. Welcome!

Mike Gilbert

Ameraucana?
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 10:18:34 PM »
Hi Jordan, and welcome to this forum.   From the photo it appears your birds would not be showable as Ameraucanas.  They are not a recognized Ameraucana color, and the hen in front has willow legs, which means she also has yellow skin.
The Ameraucana is a white skinned bird.   That being said, would you like to get some that ARE showable as true Ameraucanas?    I\'ll bet somebody that reads this forum might have some for sale at a reasonable price.   Where are you located?   Oftentimes the most expensive part of buying these chickens is the shipping.   Maybe we can find someone close enough to you that the birds could be picked up or delivered?

Mike Gilbert
president, Ameraucana Breeders Club

Ameraucana?
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 07:27:30 AM »
I live in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.  Not sure if anyone is around here, but would anyone be able to sell me some hatching eggs?  I\'d really like to start over with some true ameraucanas.   Thanks, Jordan

John

Ameraucana?
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 08:17:40 AM »
The chicken in the photo is not an Ameraucana, although it has some of the same traits.  It is what we call an Easter Egg chicken.  There is more info availiable on the FAQ page of this website.
If you are interested in getting some Ameraucanas I would suggest that you contact Larry Clionsky, http://www.ameraucana.org/LarryC.html.  He only lives about 20 miles from you.

Ameraucana?
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 11:22:05 AM »
Thanks, I just emailed him.  That\'d be perfect though, he only lives about 10 minutes away.  Thanks, Jordan