Author Topic: Unusual Color Chick - due to Lavender gene?  (Read 3365 times)

verycherry

Unusual Color Chick - due to Lavender gene?
« on: May 20, 2010, 06:48:56 PM »
About two weeks before I put my Black/Lavender split females with my Lavender cockerel for the first time, they\'d been in a large pen with other chickens, including a solid white male (probably dominant white) and a few red pyle project birds, mostly culls with way too much color.  I incubated some eggs and was surprized when a chick hatched with yellow down.  I assumed the female had been breed by the white male prior to being put with my Lavender male.  Now I\'m leaning towards one of the red pyle males, because the chick didn\'t feather out solid white after all.  I\'d describe this color as a very pale taupe or cream.   It\'s hard to make out, but he does look like he has a white chest as a pyle male would have, but the colored areas are so pale it\'s hard to see the pattern.  If it is a male, I wonder if the pyle areas will come in darker as he matures.....might not even be a male.

I found information online about Mille Fleur being diluted to Porcelain by the Lavender gene, but what color would you call it if it\'s not a Mille pattern?  Would there not have to be Lavender on both sides to dilute the red/buff/gold? ...or would one dose do it?  If nothing else, it sure is the most interesting EE I\'ve ever seen, lol!  I put a Lavender chick in the photo to compare.  Both have the dark beak and legs.

A friend of mine thinks he has one of these too from some eggs I gave him from the same batch, but I haven\'t seen it yet.

The images should enlarge when you click on them.

verycherry

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 07:09:03 PM »
This MIGHT be the dad (or another similar male).......just don\'t judge him, he\'s a work in progress and not the end product.  Hopefully by breeding him to my Black Breasted Red and Red Pyle females this year I\'ll get closer to my goal, but then again I might get no where near it.

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 11:50:47 AM »
Remember lavender is a \"diluter\", it will turn red to gold.  I have seen the dilution occur in my flock with one copy of the gene on my splits.

The chick appears to be creamy so I think the red pyle is the father......
Jean

verycherry

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 05:25:05 PM »
Ok, that helps.  I was thinking he was probably the father, but wasn\'t sure since only the Mom carried Lavender.  It\'s interesting that it only takes one dose to dilute red but two to dilute black.  I wonder if two doses would fade the red even more.  

I don\'t recall ever seeing a chicken this color.  It\'s really pretty in person, especially with the contrasting dark legs and beak.