Author Topic: Looking for a LF Lavender cockerel  (Read 8870 times)

Looking for a LF Lavender cockerel
« on: June 04, 2010, 01:32:56 PM »
I\'m needing to find a LF Lavender cockerel (s) for breeding to my lavenders when they get big enough. They\'re still young now but wanted to throw my interest out there early enough.
If anyone has one or two that is NPIP certified, please let me know.
Thank you
April
:)

Cloverleaf Farm

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 08:19:21 PM »
Where are you located?

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 09:22:23 PM »
I\'m in NW Arkansas...Harrison
April

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 11:03:21 AM »
April,

Who\'s line have you started with?

I would recommend to all breeders who are new to lavenders to cross them with a black or a black split.  (Just make sure to toe punch as many out there have crossed these birds and have no idea now who is carrying the lavender gene.)

They are going to still need improvement for quite some time and crossing them to a good feathered, appropriately sized black will produce quick results.

This will go a long way to prevent any feather quality issues and will improve egg color should you have a line with that issue.  

And, I am NPIP certified and should have some cockerels of all three varities available at the end of summer.
Jean

verycherry

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 04:24:39 AM »
Her chicks are from a cross of Johns line and yours Jean.

April, James told me that you and he were concerned about inbreeding since all your chicks are siblings.  In case you\'re interested, I\'m going to be putting a few of my black split girls with the other (#2) Lavender rooster I got from John just to get a few birds that are \"cousins\" as opposed to siblings.  James wanted to get some of these eggs.  If you get a male chick from James from this cross (he can blood test), it would be just a couple of months behind your other chicks, and you wouldn\'t have to house another full grown rooster just yet.

I\'m also considering selling my #2 roo after the cross is made, since I have the #1 roo, and I\'ll have quite a few new males to pick from too.  

Edited to add:

Just some options for you to think about.  Not telling you this to try and steal a sale away from Jean.  I just realized it might read like that.  I highly recommend her birds and have been extremely happy with all the birds I\'ve gotten from her, especially my 3 new Silver pullets.  You\'ve got to come down and see them sometime!

Looking forward to seeing you in Sheridan!

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 10:53:51 PM »
Quote from: Jean
April,

Who\'s line have you started with?

I would recommend to all breeders who are new to lavenders to cross them with a black or a black split.  (Just make sure to toe punch as many out there have crossed these birds and have no idea now who is carrying the lavender gene.)

They are going to still need improvement for quite some time and crossing them to a good feathered, appropriately sized black will produce quick results.

This will go a long way to prevent any feather quality issues and will improve egg color should you have a line with that issue.  

And, I am NPIP certified and should have some cockerels of all three varities available at the end of summer.

Sherry answered the first question.

On the second one, I have blacks from Paul and Angela. I\'m keeping some cockerels from them for the project. I really wasn\'t wanting a project but I do enjoy the lavenders. On the upside, it sounds like I\'ve started with a good group.

I will definitely band to keep track since this will be a project.

I still think I may want a Lavender cockerel also. But, I\'ll give it some more thought and research...

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 10:57:21 PM »
Sherry:
I am wanting some more chicks/eggs when you get some. Just let me know.

Starting to get organized for Sheridan\'s...I\'m borrowing my son\'s truck to bring all the birds, eggs, chicks, down there.

I\'d love to visit your place sometime and see your birds. Thanks

:)
April

verycherry

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 11:29:19 PM »
April, I just hope it\'s not too hot for chickens in the back of the truck on the way back since it will be early afternoon.  I had a friend who picked up her farm dog from her ex after they divorced, and the poor thing died on the way home from the heat.  She felt so terrible.  Maybe you\'ll sell them all and won\'t have that to worry about.

I hope you ended up with several Lav pullets.  James says that out of the ones that he kept for himself he thinks he only has 1 Lav female, 1 split female, and a bunch of roos!

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 08:29:48 PM »
I\'m hoping to sell all...if not, I\'ll put ice in their water and cover them with a tarp to keep the sun off of them and still have air blow through the sides...don\'t want them to suffocate either. It\'s suppose to be real warm Saturday.
Thanks
April

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bryngyld.com
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 09:45:53 AM »
I have a black split Lavender cockerel available.  I got a pair from Robin in So Cal, but both turned out to be boys.  I probably don\'t need either of them since I only have started chicks in Lavender.  I\'m near Sacramento.
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 09:53:09 AM »
We have hauled chickens in the heat before without any problems.  Put lots of ice in their cages.  A few years ago on our way to the Frankenmuth, Michigan national we had to stop and ice the birds down in central Oklahoma due to the heat.  When we arrived at the Michigan state line there was snow on the ground.  LOL.

I have been considering breeding some lavenders.  If someone has a pair or trio to sell at the Frankfort national.
Paul Smith

faith valley

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 10:09:17 AM »
I have a nice bantam lavendar trio - 1 year old, but the gals haven\'t started to lay.  Cant seem to figure that one out. All of the other varieties are laying. Really thinking of just getting rid of them - perhaps someone else can get them to lay. Really pretty variety.

Patty

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bryngyld.com
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 10:16:21 AM »
Patty, I thought I had the same problem, but discovered the hens were very good at hiding (escaping their pen, laying in another place, and returning before I got home from work).  I would give them a chance, anyway.  They don\'t eat much. ^_^
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

faith valley

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 11:27:42 AM »
They are in 3\'x4\' conditioning pens, so there is no way to escape and hide eggs elsewhere.  I know they are not eating them as there is no evidence in the pen of an egg.

Looking at their vents though- they look like they should be in lay- totally stumped on this one.

Patty

eliz

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2010, 05:49:18 AM »
the ones i have had in small pens just have not laid much this year compared to the open pens and free rangers. I have also found that some of the eggs have been eaten, only by catching them in the act, not by seeing the remains. Its been really wet & cold fall weather like here until recently too North/west Washington.... My bantam Favarolles only started laying a few weeks ago....much later than last year.  eliz