Author Topic: questions on blues  (Read 3870 times)

questions on blues
« on: November 08, 2005, 12:08:18 PM »
I recently joined the club and I raise just for my own enjoyment and sell eggs. I have a few questions on acceptable traits on Blues. As I can\'t justify buying a standards book, can someone send me a few pictures of eye color, feather lacing, and willow legs? Thanks in advance.

John

questions on blues
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 02:46:20 PM »
Remember that willow legs aren\'t acceptable and there is a photo that shows them under the topic Ameraucana?.  I think the eye color of the bird is OK though.  

John

questions on blues
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 05:27:38 PM »
Good lacing on a blue bird isn\'t as common as I would like. I think this LF pullet has some nice lacing.

questions on blues
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 02:15:43 PM »
I appreciate the photo; I think I can see lacing. Is it darker grey in color? I luckily found a picture from another post (someone with an easter egger) with willow legs, which were what I have always called green (I took in a fighting cock hen from an ozark old timmer and she had the most beautifully colored babies but all had willow legs).
I have started to get what I am guessing are splash pullets and cockerels, but they have a leg color that looks like a layer of slate underneath and white or clear layered over. Is this acceptable? Also, some have splashes of slate color on beaks, but some are clear (no yellow at least!)

questions on blues
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 02:06:47 PM »
Also, is the acceptable eye color \"bay\" (which I\'m guessing is like a dark horses eye)? What about for the splash?

John

questions on blues
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2005, 12:25:31 PM »
I can see lacing. Is it darker grey in color?

Yes, the lacing on blues is the darker blue edging or lacing defining the outer edge of the feathers.
leg color that looks like a layer of slate underneath and white or clear layered over. Is this acceptable?

Yes, slate (or blue) legs are from a dark dermis and clear epidermis.  Willow (or green) legs are from a dark dermis and yellow epidermis.
There is a good article on leg color in the 1982 edition of the Ameraucana Breeders Club Handbook.  Copies of all three Handbooks are available for $5 each, which includes postage, from the club.

questions on blues
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 01:14:58 PM »
Sorry to keep pestering ... what about the eye color? Thanks for all your help.

John

questions on blues
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 05:56:48 PM »
what about the eye color?

Both the ABA & APA Standards say \"reddish bay\"