Author Topic: Blue Wheaten Pullet  (Read 9945 times)

Blue Wheaten Pullet
« on: October 17, 2010, 08:37:13 PM »
This is my pullet that won BOB today at the Yankee Classic Poultry Show in Syracuse, NY.

She won over several black Ameraucanas.  I\'m open to your opinions.  Sue

If the image doesn\'t appear, this is the url where it can be seen:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_7NQD_6gyw8U/TLuVJWwLALI/AAAAAAAAAQM/g5L_zqzH70Y/s320/blue+wheaten+ameraucana+copy.jpg

John

Blue Wheaten Pullet
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 08:55:02 PM »
BOB

She looks very nice.  Congratulations.
Do you mean BB (Best of Breed)?  BOB (Best Opposite sex of Breed) is something I\'ve never seen judged.

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Blue Wheaten Pullet
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 10:58:24 PM »
Her tail color is great, but I think her body color is too dark. I think the standard say light creamy wheaten, she looks a ginger color to me.  

She is standing at an odd angle so it is difficult to see her overall body type.  The type is what they look at first, then the color.

Jean

Blue Wheaten Pullet
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 08:19:45 AM »
Quote from: Jean
Her tail color is great, but I think her body color is too dark. I think the standard say light creamy wheaten, she looks a ginger color to me.  

She is standing at an odd angle so it is difficult to see her overall body type.  The type is what they look at first, then the color.

I\'m finding out that getting better blue color, makes the body darker, although she isn\'t quite as dark as the  photo looks because the pic was taken inside a dark buiding.  

Blue Wheaten Pullet
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 08:22:57 AM »
Quote from: John
BOB

She looks very nice.  Congratulations.
Do you mean BB (Best of Breed)?  BOB (Best Opposite sex of Breed) is something I\'ve never seen judged.

Best of Breed.  I was quite happy, especially since there were other Ameraucanas there. Usually I have the only ones.

Sue

Blue Egg Acres

Blue Wheaten Pullet
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 10:12:22 AM »
Congratulations Sue! How old is this pullet?

Blue Wheaten Pullet
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 11:16:01 AM »
Quote from: Blue Egg Acres
Congratulations Sue! How old is this pullet?

She is about 8 months old.
She hatched in the early months of 2010.

She is one of my better looking young birds.

Sue

Tailfeathers

Blue Wheaten Pullet
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 11:53:55 PM »
Sue, that is one of the best tails I\'ve ever seen in a BW.  Congratulations on your win!  I was told by a judge that to get a BB or BOS, I was gonna have to get a solid color.  I\'m glad to see you proved him wrong - and especially with my favorite variety!

I too am finding that to get the blue (or black) in the tails, I am winding up with darker necks and backs.  

God Bless,

Mike Gilbert

Blue Wheaten Pullet
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 09:26:04 AM »
Quote from: Tailfeathers
 I was told by a judge that to get a BB or BOS, I was gonna have to get a solid color.  I\'m glad to see you proved him wrong - and especially with my favorite variety!

Some judges are clueless when it comes to this breed.

Tailfeathers

Blue Wheaten Pullet
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 11:33:35 PM »
Since I never know what might get reported back to whom, all I\'ll say is Mike you are absolutely right and I found that out personally with comments said by a particular judge.

Havings said that, I was also told that the reason I would have to get a solid color if I wanted BB or BOS was because the solid colored birds are easier to judge.  There are less things to look for.

Basically, I\'ve been told that a judge will stand back and look at a whole bunch of birds and will pick out 1-3 birds that have his eye before he ever lays a hand on a bird.  With the solid colored birds, there is less that needs to be looked at and considered.  

At least that\'s what I was told.  And btw, speaking of laying a hand on the bird, I\'ve seen some shows where the birds was never handled.  I\'m not quite sure how one could judge all the attributes required without handling but I\'ve seen it happen.

God Bless,

John

Blue Wheaten Pullet
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 09:21:36 AM »
solid colored birds are easier to judge.

That is why blacks are on champion row more than blues.    

eliz

Blue Wheaten Pullet
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 01:04:20 PM »
I love the female coloration of the Wheatons.... I remember being surprised the first time i saw it since i had started with bantam Salmon Favarolles, of course type is different, but i had to take a double take.  eliz

Cloverleaf Farm

Blue Wheaten Pullet
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 01:26:54 PM »
Quote from: John
solid colored birds are easier to judge.

That is why blacks are on champion row more than blues.    

Yeah, and the wheaten pullet beat out my black bantam hen for BB at my last show had NO black in her tail at all!  I asked the judge about it, and he said \"build the house and then paint it\"....to each their own, I guess...

He was also saying that across the board, he\'s not liking the fact that he\'s seeing little to no combs in the females...

Blue Egg Acres

Blue Wheaten Pullet
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 01:50:18 PM »
Quote from: Cloverleaf Farm
He was also saying that across the board, he\'s not liking the fact that he\'s seeing little to no combs in the females...

OMG! I hope he takes time to read the Standard of Perfection before he judges Ameraucanas again.

Mike Gilbert

Blue Wheaten Pullet
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 04:43:10 PM »
Quote from: Cloverleaf Farm

Those are the females that produce male offspring with nice, small, neat combs.   He or she apparently has little or no experience breeding Ameraucanas.