Author Topic: Wheatens or Blue Wheatens  (Read 2751 times)

Schroeder

Wheatens or Blue Wheatens
« on: January 04, 2011, 03:24:46 PM »
I have been an ABC member for 2 years and at long last I am ready to start raising Ameraucanas.  I have contracted to have a second coop built by March 1 which will allow me to start selective breeding.  I\'ve had a mixed flock of 6 hens (1 EE, no Ameraucanas) and 1 roo for 2 years.

I\'m attracted to the wheatens because, I believe, the egg color is consistently pretty good, but more important, I just think they are the prettiest chicken of all.  I plan to get fertile eggs from Jean.  Am I wrong to start with all wheatens rather than a mix of them and BW?  Would I be wise to get eggs from 2 different sources or would that be jumping the gun (towards genetic diversity)? I hope to someday raise show worthy stock, but I know I have a lot to learn.

Do you have any other advice for someone who is starting from scratch?

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 03:44:26 PM »
I would try to get eggs from two different sources, but not at the same time.  Make sure there is enough age difference that you can band, toe punch, or otherwise differentiate between the two groups permanently.   The memory tends to get foggy after awhile.   If you intend to keep a closed flock for biosecurity or other reasons, you will want to start keeping at least two and preferably three or even more different lines as soon as possible.   If you don\'t mind bringing in outside birds from time to time I guess it\'s no big deal, but you may not be able to find something on short notice right when you need it.

Birch Run Farm

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 04:59:32 PM »
Good advice!  My faves are the BW but the wheatens come in a close second for me!  Good luck with your flock ambitions!