Author Topic: Chicks  (Read 6959 times)

Beth C

Chicks
« on: February 17, 2011, 10:28:10 AM »
I have a rather colorful incubator at the moment: 1 wheaten, 1 buff, 1 black, 1 lavender, & 1 lavender split. 10 eggs to go - knock on wood, maybe this season will be better than last!

Birch Run Farm

Chicks
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 10:51:25 AM »
Awesome!

Jess

Chicks
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 09:56:02 PM »
I love it.
Way to go.
Jess

Mike Gilbert

Chicks
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 07:29:44 AM »
Nice chicks and photo, but opening the lid to the incubator while eggs are hatching is allowing the warm air and humidity to escape and may affect the hatchability of the remaining eggs.

Beth C

Chicks
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 09:55:48 AM »
I know, it was a dumb move. That \"it\'ll only be a second\" mentality but seeing that second frozen in time in a picture is telling - I won\'t be doing that again!

All total I ended up with 5 wheaten, 4 black, 2 buff, 2 split* & 1 lavender. I should have another batch over the weekend.

*I want to make sure I have this right: black X lavender = 100% splits, right? split X split = 25% black/50% split/25% lavender? split X lavender = 50% split/50%lavender?

Mike Gilbert

Chicks
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 10:50:51 AM »
Your percentages are accurate.   Can you see any visual differences between the blacks and splits at any stage of development?

Beth C

Chicks
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 11:17:55 AM »
I\'ve been told there is no accurate way to tell them apart so any black chicks from a split X split breeding should be treated as if they *could* carry lavender (and should not be bred to black), is that correct? These are the result of lavender X black, so should all be splits. If I breed them only to lavender, then I should know all black chicks produced carry lavender, right? This seems easier, but is there any benefit in split X split over split X lavender?

Mike Gilbert

Chicks
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 11:30:06 AM »
Quote from: Beth C
I\'ve been told there is no accurate way to tell them apart so any black chicks from a split X split breeding should be treated as if they *could* carry lavender (and should not be bred to black), is that correct? These are the result of lavender X black, so should all be splits. If I breed them only to lavender, then I should know all black chicks produced carry lavender, right? This seems easier, but is there any benefit in split X split over split X lavender?

Right on all counts.   There would be no benefit colorwise from breeding split over split in lieu of split over lavender, but I would base my selections for breeding  more on type, size, temperament, and a whole host of other factors moreso than color in that case.

Beth C

Chicks
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 12:37:08 PM »
Thanks! Be forewarned, when the time comes to make those selections, I\'m going to probably post enough questions/pictures to drive you all nuts... ;)

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
Chicks
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 08:59:35 PM »
I know, it was a dumb move. That \"it\'ll only be a second\" mentality but seeing that second frozen in time in a picture is telling - I won\'t be doing that again!

All total I ended up with 5 wheaten, 4 black, 2 buff, 2 split* & 1 lavender. I should have another batch over the weekend.

*I want to make sure I have this right: black X lavender = 100% splits, right? split X split = 25% black/50% split/25% lavender? split X lavender = 50% split/50%lavender?

So if you have 4 blacks and 2 splits which I\'m assuming are also black, you have no way to tell them apart until you breed them?
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

Beth C

Chicks
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 08:17:06 AM »
The 4 blacks are from my black pen, and I kept the lavender eggs in a separate basket in the incubator and toe punched them, so I know which ones the splits are. The first split was trying to escape the basket so I took him out & toe punched him. (I took the picture when I popped him back in with the others.) This time I have the basket secured better so I won\'t have to open the lid.

John

Chicks
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 09:43:55 AM »
I kept the lavender eggs in a separate basket in the incubator and toe punched them,

Sounds like you\'ve got it all figured out.   :D

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
Chicks
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 06:31:00 PM »
The 4 blacks are from my black pen, and I kept the lavender eggs in a separate basket in the incubator and toe punched them, so I know which ones the splits are. The first split was trying to escape the basket so I took him out & toe punched him. (I took the picture when I popped him back in with the others.) This time I have the basket secured better so I won\'t have to open the lid.

I see.  I use wire cloth dividers in my incubator.  I\'m trying to imagine what this basket looks like though.
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

Beth C

Chicks
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 10:17:06 PM »
Quote from: John
Sounds like you\'ve got it all figured out.   :D

Don\'t I wish! ;-)

Quote from: greeneggs&ham
I\'m trying to imagine what this basket looks like though.

CrystalCreek mentioned using suet baskets, so I gave them a try. They worked well, but I didn\'t have it latched the first time.

Chicks
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 02:12:44 AM »
are lavender splits soild black? i know in silkies there black with silver hackles