Author Topic: Some hidden genes.  (Read 20064 times)

John

Some hidden genes.
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2011, 09:39:46 PM »
smokey whites

Are yours like these from 2002?  I had these for a number of years.  The gene seemed to work much like lavender.  Black was diluted to a very light gray/smoky white and red was diluted also, but not as much.  Maybe I\'ve still got it floating around in my LF blacks.  Didn\'t think of that.
I quit calling them smoky, since I am quite sure it isn\'t the same as the dominant gene by the name.

Some hidden genes.
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2011, 05:37:50 PM »
The eggs that I purchased from white Ameraucanas this spring feathered white, though one was hatched blueis. I also purchased a quad of adults at the same time; so far every every chick from the pure whites has hatched looking exactly like the darker chicks you pictured John..................... and are feathering smokey colored or light blue. I also did some splits off my B/B/S and the same white roo; most look like properly bred blue or black, a couple hatched without the light under pattern but with some heavy red bleed, and two hatched yellow with dark back stripes on their backs and light colored shanks.  :o However, I finally checked my calender and saw the B/B/S had only cleaned for a little over 2 weeks when I started gathering; they could possibly have been from either a Dark Cornish or a dominate white Ameraucana/CX cross

Mike Gilbert

Some hidden genes.
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2011, 07:24:22 PM »
Dark Cornish are wheaten at the e locus, and the chicks that were yellow, dark stripes, and light colored shanks sound exactly like wheaten based chicks - mixed with something else.

Some hidden genes.
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2011, 01:22:26 PM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert
Dark Cornish are wheaten at the e locus, and the chicks that were yellow, dark stripes, and light colored shanks sound exactly like wheaten based chicks - mixed with something else.

Thank you for that information Mike.

The oldest striped chick is now feathering gray with some black or dark gray patterning and white tips on its first feathers..................... I\'m guessing it will loose the white tips. It\'s shanks have gone pale slate. I\'m not experienced at matching genotypes to down color, but would take a wild guess it\'s a silver/partidge mix. Since I\'ve not yet hatched one white chick from the white on white breedings, I\'ve toe punched all the chicks from these hatches, suspect both the white roo and some of my B/B/S girls were not carrying the proper genotypes, and calling the chicks EEs. Since the buffalo gnats culled all but one blue hen of both lines, I needed to start over anyway. Unfortunetly , I lost my other line of blues/blacks also.

ETA: Perhaps I spoke too soon; the second Ameraucana chick hatched out today, though not dry yet, appears to have \"dirty white\" down.    

Some hidden genes.
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2011, 02:41:47 PM »
So far I\'ve hatched thirty some eggs from my now deceased flock...................... two are obviously recessive white.

Several were hatched with this pattern; is it the same as John\'s weird genotype? [There are white laced red Cornish chicks in the pics also]

Mike Gilbert

Some hidden genes.
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2011, 03:39:12 PM »
I don\'t think I\'ve ever seen chick down with that pattern.  The white head dot probably means barring, but the big white spot on the back???  No clue, sorry.

Some hidden genes.
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2011, 03:48:30 PM »
Bigger? The one in the upper right has the same pattern, just more subtle shades.

It has great, dark shank color for a day old. I guess its just another I need to grow out. LOL

ETA: I\'ve gone back through the older posts; one of my chicks with this pattern has feathered identical to John\'s May 8 update. Judging by the shape and color of the eggs, my guess is mine are coming from a B/B/S hen under a white Ameraucana roo; though possibly from a white under the same roo. At this point, the B/B/S hens had been seperated from any other male of any color or age for approaching 5 weeks; I doubt they came from any other than the white Ameraucana roo.

Some hidden genes.
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2011, 04:28:17 PM »
I think I\'ve finally figured out sizeing.

Some hidden genes.
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2011, 06:13:44 PM »
Here is one of the two chicks, now 5 days old, that I thought were hatched proper recessive white; I noticed today that it has the same pattern, but hard to see because it\'s very white [silver ?] over greyish white.

The May chick is feathering kinda smoke and white.

John

Some hidden genes.
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2011, 08:50:26 PM »

I had a twin to that one that I sold along with 106 other culls on Friday.  I fed him/her long enough.

Some hidden genes.
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2011, 09:10:53 PM »
Quote from: John

I had a twin to that one that I sold along with 106 other culls on Friday.  I fed him/her long enough.

My pens are empty, and I had just bought feed and another portable breeding/growing pen a day or two before I lost my flock......................... I guess I\'ll keep mine and see if I can figure out this breeds. LOL With Lavs having the fray, and splash blue producing splash, this may be the future. LOL  

Some hidden genes.
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2011, 11:30:13 PM »
An update on my chick pictured above:
They are white.  :p With some of the darkest shanks I\'ve ever seen on whites.
Here is a picture taken inside after dusk, she\'s actually a very clean white pullet. Should I use her or the others to breed?

Beth C

Some hidden genes.
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2012, 08:57:55 PM »
These birds are from a blue wheaten to blue wheaten mating, so I thought at first they were splash wheaten, but at 6 weeks they\'re still pretty much solid white. There might be a few faint traces of reddish yellow, hard to tell if it\'s dirt or not (that\'s dirt on the wing in photo #3). I\'m guessing at this point recessive white?

Korfus Kluckers

Some hidden genes.
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2012, 10:43:20 PM »
Never seen white chick down like that. The pullet turned out nice though. Looking forward to upcoming pictures.

John

Some hidden genes.
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2012, 08:53:26 AM »
Beth,
I don\'t see any muffs and the shanks haven\'t started to darken yet at 6 weeks of age from what I can see.  My first thought is a different daddy paid a visit.  If that isn\'t a possibility then maybe your recessive white idea.
\"Strange Things Happen in This World\"  :)