Author Topic: Splash or Sport  (Read 2371 times)

worlim

Splash or Sport
« on: March 16, 2011, 07:45:03 PM »
I would like some distinction of birds carrying 2 blue genes and being referred to as splash and sport.

I\'ve always been under the impression that solid birds are splashes, you can commonly see on this site breeders referring to their B/B/S black, blue and splash birds.

In contrast a multicolored birds are sport, as in a BB red, Blue Red, and a Blue Red Sport or as Ameraucana\'s have wheaten, blue wheaten and a blue wheaten sport.

Are the 2 terms synonymous?
Are there correct and incorrect uses of these terms?
Can you call a solid bird a sport and multicolored bird a splash?
Is this just up to the individual Breed Clubs as to what is preferred?

Thanks
Glen

John

Splash or Sport
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 08:33:44 PM »
Here is an online definition of \"sport\"...
•mutant: (biology) an organism that has characteristics resulting from chromosomal alteration

The APA defines \"Splashed Feather: One on which there are irregular splashes of contrasting color...\"
So a bird of the \"splash\" variety (Bl/Bl) is white with splashes of blue.
I\'ve always considered a sport as a bird with a color/pattern that wasn\'t expected from a mating.  Like breeding two black birds and getting brown red offspring...not necessarily a mutant, but unexpected because of the phenotype of the parents.  In that respect some may consider the black and splash chicks from two blues as sports.
Just my thoughts on the subject...

Mike Gilbert

Splash or Sport
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 08:39:05 PM »
John, I was right with you until you got to the part about blacks and splashes out of two blue parents being sports.
Blacks and splashes are to be expected out of two blues, so I would not consider them sports, but the natural and predictable result of that particular color mating.  Sports, as you said, are unexpected.

John

Splash or Sport
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 09:41:59 PM »
Blacks and splashes are to be expected out of two blues,

Yes...you and I know that, but... :D :D :D
(OK, I was wrong.) :(