Author Topic: a gene to suppress autosomal red found ?  (Read 2481 times)

jerryse

a gene to suppress autosomal red found ?
« on: April 12, 2011, 12:46:42 PM »
I have a few project chicks that are from a silver LF roo and some light brown hens.The hens carry autosomal red and this cross all cockerels should be intermediate [golden] with red shoulders.All are silver with no red at about 2 months old.On bantam silvers the red would be showing now.The roo came from John last fall and was a little brassy but that cleared up and even exposed to sun he is still clean.So could this be dominate silver or perhaps another gene entirely.The ability to supress autosomal red could be a very useful find.I will let you know if they change.My bantam silvers behave normally when crossed with light brown.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 01:31:49 PM »
Jerry, how can you be sure the brown hens carry autosomal red?   Have you crossed them with another male?

jerryse

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 02:40:31 PM »
The hens came from a rooster carrying auto red.Even if they didn\'t the cockerels are silver and not straw as they should be.I have also bred the hens to a Meridth bred blue wheaten but the chicks are still to young to tell much.I  know how hard auto red is to get rid of and while you might get some clean shoulders most would be red.I base my conclusion on no straw and no red on any of these cockerels.

John

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 09:06:42 PM »
On bantam silvers the red would be showing now

Year after year I get bantam cockerels with red, but also I\'m getting more good ones year after year.
I don\'t think I\'ve had and LF silvers develop red in thier shoulders in many years.  Maybe some folks that have bought LF silver chicks from me and raised them have seen it(?).