Author Topic: Has anybody seen this in their hatches?  (Read 2993 times)

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
Has anybody seen this in their hatches?
« on: April 17, 2011, 03:17:58 PM »
I\'ve had a few chicks hatch that appear to have some kind of nervous disorder.  It happens right after hatch.  They pull their heads over their backs and fall over on their backs.  They can\'t stay up.  The head stays back.  There appears to be a few tremors also.  I don\'t think it is a disease because it doesn\'t spread and I have had normal chicks hatch from the same parents in the same hatch.  
Is this a genetic disorder?  Where the chick gets a copy from both parents and his siblings do not?  Anyone seen this in the large fowl Blacks and Blues or know what it could be?
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 08:27:45 AM »
These are commonly referred to as \"stargazers.\"   It may be related to a nutritional deficiency in the breeder hens, but is likely at least partially genetic.  If I remember correctly, it related to the B vitamin complex.   It has been a long time since I saw it, so somebody jump in here and correct me if the memory is playing tricks.

John

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 09:58:14 AM »
I waited for Mike to jump in before commenting.
Many years ago I saw this often with bantam buffs when I first started breeding them.  
I believe it is more of a genetic disorder than anything else.  Over the decades it may have shown up with other varieties and I think it has very seldom, as I recall.  I don\'t remember ever seeing it with LF blacks.

eliz

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 12:11:52 PM »
HI, am glad that someone has brought this topic up...I have 2 new chicks one black and one blue. Black is fine but the Blue one does this every time it drinks water, recovers takes another drink does the same thing. doesn\'t happen when it eats. The blue is exceptionally hardy otherwise. eliz

PS they are 5-6 weeks old

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 01:55:20 PM »
Well, I hope it is as simple as a nutritional deficiency.  But I had the flock on 28% protein ration and gave them additional vitamins and minerals in their water for a few days.  Otherwise, it looks like I may have to be ordering some new genes for my flock, since it appears that my best black and my splashes may be involved.   Dang.  :(

Eliz, I saw that also last year in either a blue or splash I grew out, can\'t remember.  I didn\'t keep him.  I also saw that behavior in chicks that later developed crossed beaks.  But I would think at 5 or 6 weeks that would already have happened.
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...