Author Topic: Youth Activity  (Read 3566 times)

faith valley

Youth Activity
« on: December 25, 2005, 12:45:43 PM »
Hey all,

What do you think about kicking off the new year with a kids contest or activity? It might fit in nicely with the new Jr. Award program that has just been approved. What about a poster contest for the spring and possibly a project or research type for the fall.  It would be easy enough to get the prizes donate, and finding judges is never a problem for a youth contest.

Do we have enough Jr members to make a go of it?

~Patty~

Youth Activity
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 01:40:15 PM »
What ages are considered to be Junior Members? I have bred Ameraucanas since the age of 8 and I am now 16. I have never joined any organizations (no need/desire to do so).

I have a study on Red Pyle Ameraucana which I am working on (Red Pyle/Red Shouldered White) and also a very strange and unusual color which cropped up in some birds. I am discussing it with other young geneticists and we have yet to come to a consensus. It is of mixed origin. I would love to do a poster or a report on my work. It would be so much fun! Because I am located in Maryland, an area lacking in poultry shows, I can participate more readily in contests of this sort and it will likely persuade me to join. So far there hasn\'t been any reason for me to join, for there aren\'t any club held shows around here. This spring should yield the first publicly available Red Pyles from my flock (of course I will keep the best).
The oddities from a mixed flock with birds carrying \"shoulder\" genes of various colors originating from the original Ambers sex linked outcross made to a white Ameraucana.

A Red Pyle Cock:  

THE COMBS ON THESE BIRDS ARE STILL NOT CORRECT DUE TO OUTCROSSING TO ANOTHER BREED. THIS SPRINGS HATCH SHOULD CORRECT THE ISSUE.

faith valley

Youth Activity
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 04:18:35 PM »
I agree, it certainly would be fun- my youngest son would enjoy seeing our club offer more programs for the jr members.  I would assume that this would have to be set up and approved by the club\'s officers and directors.

I did send a copy of 2 possible contest outlines to our district director, but havent heard anything back about it yet, I assume due to it being the holidays right now. Guess we wait and see what happens.

Junior members are listed as 17 years old and younger- it is only $8.00 per year for a junior membership.

I wish you success on your genetic project- it sounds like a very interesting one.

~Patty~

John

Youth Activity
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 06:05:53 PM »
I have never joined any organizations (no need/desire to do so).

There are many poultry related organizations available to join.  I haven\'t joined many, because I also don\'t feel the benefits would justify the expense.  I have also joined some organizations just because I wanted to support a cause that they may lobby for that I believe in as the NRA.  Some in the poultry field that should be considered are the APA, ABA and the Bird Shippers of America.  It\'s the old United We Stand - Divided We Fall idea, but our dollars may have other priorities.  
I will make a pitch for you to consider joining the ABC, even if for only one year.  For the $8 junior membership you will receive a 40+ page Handbook, Breeders Directory and 4 quarterly Bulletins.  The Handbook and Breeders Directory are free to new members only.  Together they are a $7 to $10 value depending on whether they are purchased by a member or nonmember.  
Due to the internet with poultry websites and forums a lot of information and resources are available (and free) that once required a club membership.  The times they are a changin\'.  I am thankful to the club members though for all this info, because it is their membership dues and donated time that make it all possible.
I would like to see you join, even if it for only one year, to get more information about Ameraucanas and this club info your hands.
 B)

Youth Activity
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 11:16:37 AM »
I might as well join for $8.00. Unfortunetly most poultry organizations don\'t function in Maryland though. My main annoyance is the lack of certified shows and swaps to get new stock at. Virtually every other state I can think of does not have this issue.

Maryland is undergoing much urbanization due to DC and I think we are losing youth interested in poultry far faster than we are gaining them. I am only aware of a handful of young fanciers in AA Co and NONE of them show their birds. )Hence I show in adult divisions and always win top prizes and trophies). I expect the situation may be slightly better in Western MD and on the Eastern Shore, but it is quite pathetic. Our only big show is the State Fair, which still has fewer poultry youth than any other state fair I have ever been to.

Youth Activity
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 01:11:41 PM »
I too think some more youth focused activities would be great. my son is 13 and he gets bored easily. showing fowl is hard work and fun, but I am certain if we try we can cvome up with things they can particapate in even without shows.
Sone examples would be an essay contest were they can write on a given subject? or a youth judging contest etc. (like in cattle shows, were the youth prectice being the judge) and placing a class of fowl, then giving reasons, the winner is the closest to thenofficial judge etc
I think the more involved the youth become the more likely they will stick with it in the long haul