Author Topic: Anyone showing in Virginia this year?  (Read 4109 times)

OldChurchEggery

Anyone showing in Virginia this year?
« on: August 18, 2011, 09:03:16 AM »
I realize Virginia is very strict on biosecurity for poultry (I won\'t point fingers, but I have a hunch it has to do with the broiler industry here), nonetheless, is anyone planning to show at the Virginia State Fair at the end of September or the VPBA show in November? I would really like to meet folks from the ABC and see their birds, but with a 4 month old, I won\'t be traveling to the midwest any time soon.

Beth C

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 10:34:26 AM »
Where is the VPBA show going to be? I might at least come watch.

OldChurchEggery

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 01:17:35 PM »
It will be held at Meadow Event Park in Caroline County (same place as the State Fair). It\'s the Doswell/Route 30 exit off of 95. I went last year for the first time and really enjoyed it, so I am thinking about exhibiting this go round. I have one Australorp pullet that I think has promise and if I can get my blue Ameraucana hen in good enough condition, I might try her, too.

On that note, any advice for how to improve feather condition in blue? She\'s gotten a faded look to her from the summer sun while roaming the yard. Is three months too short a time frame for conditioning? I\'ve never shown before but would like to.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 03:40:15 PM »
Quote from: OldChurchEggery
. . I have one Australorp pullet that I think has promise and if I can get my blue Ameraucana hen in good enough condition, I might try her, too.

On that note, any advice for how to improve feather condition in blue? She\'s gotten a faded look to her from the summer sun while roaming the yard. Is three months too short a time frame for conditioning?

She will probably need to go through a molt.  If she shows no inclination to do so, you could try force-molting her.   One way to try that is put her in a dark but well ventilated place for up to a week.   Restrict food and water intake, even withholding feed completely for a few days, and change the feed to something like whole oats. Once the feathers start to fall you can  resume normal feeding practices, but oats are a good feather conditioner.  Make sure she is free of internal and external parasites and in good health before starting the process.

Beth C

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 08:50:45 AM »
Erica: It\'s a little bit of a haul, then there\'s that whole bio-security thing (truckers used to call VA \"the communist state\" and it still fits w/respect to poultry), but the NC show in Dec. is a straight shot down I95 if you want to bring your blue.

OldChurchEggery

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 11:27:43 AM »
Where will the NC show be held? Even if I don\'t show, it might be a fun trip just to see everything.

bantamhill

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 12:43:37 PM »
Erica:

You may be interested in these shows:

November 5-6, 2011
Maryland State Meet, requested by William Morrow
Maryland State Poultry Fancier’s Association, Frederick, MD
Kay St. Amour, cochinlady@verizon.net

December 10, 2011
North Carolina State Meet, requested by Beth Curran
Cape Fear Poultry Association, Johnston County Livestock Arena, Smithfield, NC
Carolyn Lynn, 910-897-8001, sultanlady@embarqmail.com
Arkleton 5860 Hwy 217
Erwin, NC 28339
http://www.capefearpoultryassociation.embarqspace.com/#/club-news/4536163105

:stare:Michael

Providence Hill

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 09:51:33 PM »
Hi Erica,
My daughter has bantam Ameraucanas from John that she shows every year at the Mid-Valley Poultry Fanciers show in Harrisonburg (May) and the VAPBA show in Doswell (November).  She has wheatens, blue wheatens, and blacks, and this year hatched a pretty little blue pullet she\'s hoping to bring as well.  She may also be bringing some young cockerels to sell from her last hatch (wheaten and blue wheaten) if you\'d like to add any bantam boys to your flock!  Our hatches were male-heavy this year and we don\'t have room to grow them all out.

We\'d love to go to the Maryland show, but Sunday shows are a no-go for us.  Maybe someday we\'ll make it to NC.

OldChurchEggery

Re: Anyone showing in Virginia this year?
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 09:43:47 AM »
It's that time again! The Virginia Poultry Breeders Association show will be held next month, but it will be at the Caroline County fairground instead of Meadow Event Park. With the State Fair of VA being sold off, there was too much uncertainty to commit to hosting there this year. Perhaps we'll be back at those facilities next year.

Edited to add this: http://virginiapoultrybreeders.weebly.com/2012-fall-show.html
Info about the show

I am really excited because if everything goes well, this will be my first show. Hooray! I want to take my Silver pullet since she's all I've got that will even be close to show-worthy. She has been handled a fair amount so now I've just got to practice grooming her using the helpful tips you all have shared here.

If anyone else from the Club is planning to come, I would enjoy meeting you.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 09:48:43 AM by OldChurchEggery »