Author Topic: Travel Boxes??  (Read 8121 times)

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Travel Boxes??
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 12:05:25 PM »
The sides are peg board, the rest is 5 mm super ply.  Anything thinner just warps and bends.

Jeanine, the \"DH\" said he will not make anymore and complained the whole time he was doing it.  Something about \"I could be fishing....\"
Jean

Cloverleaf Farm

Travel Boxes??
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 03:22:23 PM »
Quote from: Jean
The sides are peg board, the rest is 5 mm super ply.  Anything thinner just warps and bends.

Jeanine, the \"DH\" said he will not make anymore and complained the whole time he was doing it.  Something about \"I could be fishing....\"

LOL  Yeah...I could see that! haa haa haa

What are the dimensions on those?  I might have to print the pics and give my retired FIL a project! :)

Schroeder

Re: Travel Boxes??
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2012, 02:50:27 PM »
Some of the plastic poultry traveling crates are advertised at only 11" or 15" high.  Is it best not to have enough room for the chickens to stand erect? What if the birds are about to be shown?  Whether I decide to buy or build the crates, I need to know what height is best. I don't have a cap on my truck, just a vinyl Tonneau cover.

If I'm not showing, just transporting (a  6 hour drive), is it okay to do so in dog crates anchored well, and covered with a tarp, in an open pickup bed?

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Travel Boxes??
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2012, 10:02:05 PM »
The crates need to be tall enough that the males don't rub their tail on the top of the crates.  I've seen other fanciers bring their chickens with a tarp over them.  If your in the cool climate you can do that.   Here in the hot climate it would not work.  In 2006 when we went to Frankenmuth, Michigan, we had to stop in Oklahoma and ice the birds down.  When we got to the Michigan state line snow was on the ground.
Paul Smith