Author Topic: odd coloring and sexing chicks 12 weeks and younger  (Read 6794 times)

mustangsaguaro

odd coloring and sexing chicks 12 weeks and younger
« on: October 07, 2011, 05:34:01 PM »
I recently took back one of my Lav\'s I sold to a lady because it ended up being a cockerel and she lives w/in city limits and can\'t have males. Anyways, this guy has an odd coloring in his feathers. He\'s a lavender and he\'s got what I would call peach or salmon coloring in some of his feathers. Most of the odd coloring feathers are on his chest. I realize he would/is a bird to cull. But am wondering if any of you others that raise the Lav\'s have you seen this coloring at all in your birds? I will try to post a pic. later on.

I was reading another post on here about the Lav. Isabelle project color someone is working on and looked at the pics she posted of her cockerel. And from looking at her pics and the color of her bird they look very similar. Anyone else\'s thoughts on this?

Secondly what is the best way to sex chicks under 12 weeks of age? I don\'t know how to vent sex otherwise I would. Does one just have to wait until they are older to sex? Are there distinct difference at a young age to tell the males from females? If so what difference could you tell at this age?

I have 7 chicks that are about 8-10 weeks old. 3 or 4 of the 7 have good tails coming in while the remainder of them have what I would consider non existent tail feathers right now. Now, 2 of my older birds that I have when they were chicks they had this same non existent tail feathering and both turned out to be males. Is this common for the male birds to have little to no tail feathers while the females tails feather in more quickly? It\'s just killing me not knowing what I\'ve got male and female wise w/ these chicks. Because males eventually get the spurs at this young of an age could you tell if they have a little nub where the spur come in safely say one has a male or is that not a good way to tell?

THanks

bantamhill

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 09:04:45 PM »
The cockerel probably ended up with a gold gene from his mother. Hens don\'t normally show gold, but they pass it on to their sons! If you know who is mother is she should be considered for culling.

If you have a group of chicks the same age at six-eight weeks it will begin to be obvious which will be cockerels and which will be hens. The cockerels will be larger, combs will begin to color up, and if you look at their necks under the feathers you will see a few hackle feathers starting to develop. Not knowing your strain the tail feather development may be an indicator. Experience, observation, and time will tell. If you have some leg bands I suggest marking those you thing are cockerels and see how close you are in a few weeks.

I had a strain of chickens at one time that I could sex at two days by wing feathers. When I decided to cross for vigor I lost that trait.

Any cockerels/pullets that are slow maturing I would cull. The are lacking vigor.

Just my thoughts. I am sure others will agree and disagree!

Michael

jerryse

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 09:46:58 AM »
There was a post ealier this year about the tail feather sexing method.I tried it and found it to be reliable.Chipmunk colored chicks can also be sexed by color at day old.One sex has 2 colors of stripes the other 3 colors.I forget which is which.I plan to only use the tail feather method.Barred birds can be sexed at day old.The males have larger head spots.