Author Topic: Can you help me sex these birds please  (Read 2758 times)

mustangsaguaro

Can you help me sex these birds please
« on: October 18, 2011, 04:14:37 PM »
I have a bunch of 10 wk old Lav. and 2 Black Ameraucana\'s. Can anyone help to guess what sex we are? I need to determine who I\'m keeping and who I need to get rid of. I have an idea of what sex they are but would like to get other opinions. Some of the pics are blurry and will try to get clearer pics of the blurry ones tomorrow. Pics w/ 4 and 8 by them are the blurry ones. Any guesses would be appreciated.

1-Pic below is the only Ameraucana shown here who is not 10 wks old. This one is 4months old. Hoping this is a female but not sure.

2-Two below images are of the same bird

3-Different bird from 2 above images

4-Black #1

5-Two below images are of same bird

6-Black #2

7-Two below images are of the same bird

8-Different bird from above

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 05:45:20 PM »
What would you do with guesses?   Look at the hackle and saddle feathers.   If the new ones coming in are pointed they are probably cockerels, if rounded they are probably pullets.

mustangsaguaro

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 06:10:42 PM »
I only plan on keeping 4 or 5 females and maybe 2 males. I currently have 2 females that are older  (6mos) I am keeping. And 1 male that is older (6mos) that I am keeping. So need to figure out from this batch which ones are females and males. I have an idea of one that might be a male that I am for sure keeping. All the others I need to sell. Currently I am over my limit on males. So need to find homes for the males. Finding homes for male chickens is very difficult. Everyone wants females and no males.

For me this batch is still to young for me to tell the difference of the rounded vs. pointed feathers. I guess I don\'t have any eye for that quite yet.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 09:01:06 PM »
I do have a home for the male chickens that don\'t sell.  It\'s called a freezer.  Later they get a transfer to a hot place, followed up by an invitation to dinner.    It is one of the three main uses for chickens, the other two being eggs and exhibition/enjoyment.  I raised a large fowl buff this year that was so large and gangly I just assumed it had to be a rooster.  It had a larger, redder comb than the others I knew to be pullets.   But it never did develop those pointed saddle and hackle feathers; turns out it WAS a pullet.  She\'s at least a pound over standard weight.   You might have to part the existing feathers to check the new feathers growing in.