Author Topic: A Question for our Longtime Breeders  (Read 2782 times)

dixieland

A Question for our Longtime Breeders
« on: November 04, 2011, 03:33:57 PM »
I am on cloud nine after coming back from my first ABC National. The overall depth of quality and condition of the exhibits seemed really impressive to me. The friendliness and willingness to teach and share demonstrated by all of the ABC members that we had a chance to visit with was also second to none.....But, this was our first national.....
So, I wanted to see what the longtime breeder/ exhibitors thought about the state of our breed.....
Which variety overall is in the best shape and which variety needs the most work (please include LF or bantam with your answer)?

Overall, across the board which aspect of the breed has improved the most in the past 10 years? Which do we need to focus on improving next?

I hope this will open up a dialogue which can be educational to many of us on here, this is not meant to start up any disagreements or negative feelings...But I suspect, that none of you would do that anyway.....

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 10:00:48 AM »
Opinions will vary on this, but my impression is that the solid colors are in the best shape and have made the most progress.   Black large fowl seem to win the national every year.   This year\'s national had the deepest class of black bantams that I can remember.  Forgive me for saying this, but I believe a more experienced judge might have placed the black bantams differently.  The whites were also good, but not that many were shown this year for some reason.  Jerry DeSmidt has been showing some exceptional wheatens and blue wheatens.  He had best bantam two years ago in Columbus with a blue wheaten pullet, and had reserve bantam this year with a wheaten cock bird.    Which varieties need the most work?   That\'s pretty easy.   The silver and brown red bantams and large fowl.   They are much more difficult because of the intrinsic nature of the color patterns.  Jerry showed an exceptionally well patterned blue bantam cockerel this year.    There was a young pullet in the large fowl class with great lacing too, not sure but I think it was Tom Kernans?   I believe the bantams in general are more advanced than most varieties of the large fowl, but I\'m probably prejudiced.   There seems to be a tendency for some judges to pick the heavier looking, fluffier birds.  Feathering should be very much like that of a Plymouth Rock, not like the soft feather breeds.  The Ameraucana should be medium in every aspect of the breed.   That includes muffs and beards;  bigger is not necessarily better.  Stay away from extremes and you will find yourself on the right track to breeding proper Ameraucanas.  

dixieland

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 01:55:02 PM »
Thank you for sharing your opinion Mike!
I\'ve made notes on your response, and hope to make more notes as more of our Gurus comment!

bantamhill

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 06:51:57 PM »
I am pretty sure I am not a guru, but for what it is worth . . .

I have to agree with Mike G. that the black bantam and large fowl are really well developed. In the bantam world I think there are white, blue wheaten, and wheaten that are just as good, if not better than the black in many ways.

In the last ten years I think buff large fowl have definitely come a long way. The buff large fowl we see now are very different from their ancestors.

Again, I have to agree with Mike G. that the brown red and silver varieties in both bantam and large fowl need more breeders working with them. The breeders who are working with the varieties continue to make good progress with them . . . some day they will whip the black at a national meet. I don\'t know if Paul remembers the silver rooster that is my Avatar (I just noticed it is not working for some reason) from a South Central District meet at Shawnee, OK some years ago that made it to Champion Row deep in Sumatra country. I was shocked to walk into the show and see him proudly standing on Champion Row at a show of that size. The day, the judge, and the condition of the rooster where all in alignment! By next year I will be more settled and ready to jump back into the silver world.

Having set at the table with the eggs at the National Meets for 5 years I do believe that the egg shell color of the eggs brought for the competition has improved.

Michael

dixieland

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 07:21:30 PM »
Thanks Michael!

B) Dude- you are so a Guru.. Just look below your name, lol!!