Author Topic: Out Crossing: Good or Bad?  (Read 8130 times)

Jess

Out Crossing: Good or Bad?
« on: November 06, 2011, 06:41:29 PM »
Good evening,
I’m kind of at a low point in trying to get a wheaten line of birds started.
I have ordered live chicks and eggs that I hatched out from reputable
 Breeders from here on this forum. Out of over two dozen eggs ordered, I have culled down until I have 2 pullets. 3 of these didn’t have any sign of beard or muff.
Out of 20 chicks that I ordered I have culled down until I have 4 pullets, now that they started laying, 2 of those lay white eggs.
My question now is: does out crossing to other breeds really help, just to fix one show defect? Why not just take the breed and selective cull out the bad traits instead of trying to breed to other breeds to fix the problem?
I now am wondering how pure is the breed of wheaten that is being sold here as pure bread wheaten. To me, I think some have been out crossed now until they are no more than just mongrels.
I guess that the best thing for me is to hatch and cull until I can get blue egg laying ameracuna wheaten that have beards and muffs that meet the other breed standards.
I guess now I will be running my incubators and hatchers 365 days a year.
I want be out crossing to other breeds, but I think I may be able to get a line of wheatens that I want have to cull 95% and sell as Easter eggers.
I think some breeders have out crossed their birds until they are no more than mongrels that are the right color. The offspring apparently don’t matter.
I would like to hear what other breeders have to say and why they think breeding a wheaten to something else is a good thing.
Depressed
Jesse

John

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 07:24:42 PM »
does out crossing to other breeds really help, just to fix one show defect? Why not just take the breed and selective cull out the bad traits instead of trying to breed to other breeds to fix the problem?

I\'m not sure about the \"show defect\" you are asking about, but will try to give some thoughts on the out-crossing subject.  At this point in the develop of the LF wheaten and all the other varieties of Ameraucana I don\'t think we should be cross breeding at all.  I don\'t know of any reason to make a cross to another breed of chicken as we did in the past to bring in genes that were needed to produce the different varieties.  Out-crossing which is crossing to other strains and varieties within a breed is still something to consider with some varieties.  The LF wheatens in my opinion don\'t have as good Ameraucana type and size as the LF blacks and for that reason I think an out-cross to blacks is a good way to improve the size and type of the wheatens and then continue with the selective breeding and culling you mentioned.  Egg color may also be improved by this cross since some lines/stains of wheatens aren\'t pure for blue eggs.  
I now am wondering how pure is the breed of wheaten that is being sold here as pure bread wheaten. To me, I think some have been out crossed now until they are no more than just mongrels.

Mongrels are what we started with and we\'ve come a long way.  I\'ve always said that it is just about impossible for any chicken to by \"pure\" for every trait, but that is still the goal.  More out-crossing may be beneficial, but it\'s not for everyone.  
I guess that the best thing for me is to hatch and cull until I can get blue egg laying ameracuna wheaten that have beards and muffs that meet the other breed standards.

Yes.  Don\'t get discouraged, Jesse.  Breed from your best.  Hatch a lot.  Cull a lot.  And, do the same thing year after year.

Jess

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 08:23:41 PM »
Evening,
This is what my chicken yard looks like ans a shot of my breeding pens.
Also is a picture of the white eggs That I got from 2 of my wheaten hens.
Thanks
Jess

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 08:42:32 PM »
Could not help but notice those \"white\" eggs were in hatching trays.   It\'s not a good idea to hatch them.  Like John said, breed only from the best.   With a little luck and perseverance you will soon have a fine flock of wheatens.   That egg marked number 5 looked real good.  

Jess

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 09:02:01 PM »
Thanks Mike,
I just put those white eggs there so you could see them, they will be breakfast in the morning. The egg from pen 5 is from my black and splash pen.
I plan to hatch only the blue eggs. some of them I cull because of size and light color.
Thanks
Jess

dixieland

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 10:56:44 PM »
Jess-
   I am going through a similar situation with my large fowl Ameraucana up here in TN..... I am on an upswing right now as I have gotten tons of encouragement from other ABC members who I got to meet in person in Indy last week, as well as some breeding strategy that seems pretty sound as well. I came home with some gorgeous young birds, and I have some eggs that I am excited about in the \'bator right now....
  In my experience of breeding other animals and working towards a standard of perfection you are right on track! You should always be critical of your own stock... The longer you breed anything, the more bizarre situations you will encounter.....Genetics are relatively straightforward, but there are some curve balls involved.
Stick to your guns, keep moving forward with the very best stock you can get your hands on, read and re-read the Standard of Perfection and compare your birds to it and never stop reading and learning....
I have enjoyed reading several of your posts on here and hope we\'ll meet up with you at a show one of these days...
Most importantly, don\'t forget to stop every once in awhile and admire and enjoy your chickens....

Jes with only one \"S\" in TN :p

John

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 09:29:49 AM »
ordered live chicks and eggs that I hatched

One reason I sell chicks and not hatching eggs is because I can see if the chick has the proper phenotype before sending it, but with eggs I have much less control of the chicks the customer may hatch.  The chicks you receive may not grow into show quality birds and they may have other problems, but by me doing the hatching I look over each chick and \"try\" to make sure they have muffs, have clean shanks, proper combs, etc.  I\'m not knocking those that sell hatching eggs that are from \"standard\" flocks and I understand enough about genetics to know some folks wouldn\'t be happy with hatching eggs from some of my flocks.  Some just aren\'t \"pure\" enough.  I hatched over 4,000 chicks this year and hundreds ended up in the \"reject\" brooder.  Customers that paid for specific varieties of chicks were sent the best looking chicks from the bluest eggs.  The rest were used to fill orders for \"hatchery choice\" and \"surplus\" chicks, sold locally or raised be me.
Here is a photo of a LF wheaten chick.  Note the dark line on the back of the head, that I circled.  This is the proper phenotype to look for in day-old wheaten chicks.

Tailfeathers

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 11:26:25 PM »
Jess, I am really disappointed to read that you\'ve had such bad results thus far with your chicks and eggs.  But I want to encourage you to hang in there and stick with the WBS variety as I, for one, believe it\'s the BEST variety of Ameraucanas!

Yes, they need a lot of work but that\'s one of the fun things about working with them if you let it be.  

There are a WHOLE LOT MORE experienced folks on here than me but I\'d like to offer a few suggestions and then let them comment on them if they so desire.

First, start with a plan.  A specific plan.  And I would identify one or two at the most specific traits that you wish to improve on.  Within that, I\'d try to select traits that have dominant genes to work from.  For example, maybe you want to get a better comb.  Or maybe get rid of those birds that show up without beard/muffs.  Or maybe it\'s eye color, leg color, length of back, tail carriage, weight, etc.  Breed birds that will only produce those results for sure - or at least the majority of the offspring should have those results.  

Work on getting that one or two traits set and then re-prioritize.  Trying to fix everything (or a lot of things) at once I believe is a waste of time and effort.  Once you\'ve got that set, then you can move on to the next one or two traits.  And btw, egg color is the last thing I would worry about.  Blue is dominant so you should be able to get that back in a short time.  More on this later.  

Secondly, I\'m not the brightest bulb in the socket and I know it so I don\'t try to do more than I can.  For me, outcrossing would be a waste of time.  I don\'t have the smarts for it.  So before I would go outcross to another breed, I would look for bringing in new blood from another well established, serious, known breeder within my own variety.

Third, I\'ve taken a page from the articles by Kenny Troiano in the PP and applied his advice to my breeding programs for Ameraucanas.  Seems to me if it works for OEG\'s it ought to work for Ameraucanas.  So I\'d recommend reading as many things from the established \"Experts\" & Old Timers as you can get your hands on.  Then apply those things that make sense to you and you know that you can work with them.

For example, I like the idea of having two lines and an A & B sub-line under each of those lines.  Eventually the two initial lines would become your own two different strains with two individual lines under them.  Theoretically then, you can cross back and forth between the A & B sub-lines and when needed (for say hybrid vigor) outcross to your other main line (or strain as it would become).  

Fourth, I\'d recommend keeping meticulous records.  Even though I try, I know I still fall short on this and am often confused as I look back thru my past years of breeding plans.  Obviously, I didn\'t start out with #1 above very well.  But I can tell you this, I\'ve learned a tremendous amount by the record keeping that I have done.  That alone has been the predominant tool which has helped me to improve some things and eliminate others.

Fifth, if you are like me, I think you will find faster and greater success by not flock mating but rather putting specific males over specific females.  In order to do this, your birds must be toe-punched or have some other non-removable/non-changeable/non-mistakeable ID system.  Each breeding pen would then consist of a specific male over a specific female (or \"females\" if they are all full-blood sisters).  That pen is then given a # and that # is then toe-punched to each chick.  Obviously, the eggs must be numbered when collected and the eggs must be separated when hatched so that proper toe-punching can be done.  As I mentioned above, I\'d get down to just four pens. I\'m not quite there yet as I started with 15 different matings/pens but I\'m close.

Sixth, hatch large numbers from eggs that are likely to give you the best results.  There are several things that must be considered with eggs as well when choosing whether or not to set them.  In the interest of saving time, I\'d refer you to the July or August issue of the PP and the article I think by Kenny again.  Or maybe it was the one by the Barred Rock guy.  Either way, it was good stuff.  Then cull down to a very few of the absolutely best birds.  Again, this is easier said that done but doing so I have found helps me by leaps and bounds.  You may be able to get rid of some birds early and not bother feeding them but you may also need to hold on to numerous birds until they mature.  Hopefully you will get down to a dozen birds or so that seem impossible to cull down to a half dozen or less.  Now you\'re making progress and really looking them over!

Lastly, before I talk quickly about the egg because this is getting long, I want to encourage you not to get discouraged.  This is especially true if you\'re like me and not a Whiz Bang Genetic Expert with Eistein\'s mental abilities.  For example, I hatched out over 150 Ameraucana chicks this year (eat your heart out John!  LOL) and I had something happen again that has really puzzled me in the past few years.  I got some of those - what I call \'Calico\' - colored Wheaten pullets.  They are way too chocolate colored and they have large splotches of black throughout their entire body.  To make matters worse, they weren\'t all from the same breeding pen either!  I got one that was a #7 and one that was a #8 that I know of.  And to make that even worse, there is no correlation between the two pens WRT to the mother or father!  

Unfortunately I also sold a couple of \'Calico\' pullets as culls and forgot to record the # before they left.  Now, between the failure to record those birds before I sold them coupled with the lack of any readily apparent parental connection between the two pens, I could\'ve really gotten discouraged.  Rather, for now I just took it in stride and chocked it up to just one of those genetic throwbacks that rarely happen but show me that I don\'t have a pure enough line/strain yet.  I\'m trying to get that missing info now & then I\'ll have to pour over the past several years of breeding plans to see if I can determine the linkage.  If not, hopefully that will work itself out in due time as I just don\'t breed them and continue to focus on the priorities I\'ve set with my breeding plan.

Now, let me quickly address the egg color.  Far be it from me to disagree with Mike as he\'s an expert and I\'m just a novice so please take this in that vein and that this is advice just coming from a simple man who\'s offering a simple suggestion.

I would not recommend that someone not hatch a white egg.  In fact, I have hatched numerous white eggs in the past and as recent as this year.  Some were white and some were VERY light blue.  

The reason?  As I said above, the egg is last priority to me as egg color is not part of the SOP and I breed for show as well.  That being said, I am NOT one who doesn\'t pay ANY attention to the egg.  It\'s a matter or priorities.  

For example, one of the problems I was having was egg productivity.  I had birds that would go 6-9 months, and some longer, without giving me ANY eggs!  Now I love my Ameraucanas but I see no use whatsoever for a chicken that doesn\'t lay an egg!  So I culled those birds.

On the other hand, I had two #7 BW hens that gave me 5 eggs/week on a regular basis.  These were the white and very light blue eggs.  Moreover, on top of that, they were VERY nice birds in many other ways per the SOP.  I won\'t go into all the details.  Suffice it to say they were very Typey AND had a very nice uniform light wheaten overall coloration.  They only major thing lacking was the blue in tail and wings - which is something I\'m currently working on for all my WBS birds.  So I used these birds to improve my production and it has worked.  I saw an increase in productivity.

I\'m getting some white eggs now from 2 or 3 pullets.  I don\'t know who they are yet but will find out and IF they are SQ birds and among the best, I\'ll keep them and breed them.  I \"think\" I\'ve got my cocks now that are just giving blue genes.  I did not have that in the past which btw I was able to correct thru the records keeping I mentioned above.  And, as a matter of fact, if memory serves, I ended up with the white eggs thru specific matings in order to get rid of the brown that was causing some of my eggs to be green.  However, now I have to find out about the genetics for the white egg.  I\'ve seen it on here somewhere but don\'t have it memorized.  I need to see if one of my cocks is aiding in the production of a white egg.  If so, I should be able to tell who he is from my records and will likely cull him once I can ID a replacement that\'s better than him and carries the blue egg genes necessary.  Hope that makes sense.  

It\'ll be interesting to see if the whtie egg layers are related and, if not, whether they have related parentage somewhere.  I should\'ve helped my ID\'ing the problem though because I am down to just two stags now.  One W and one BW and both from different pens.  Like I said, I\'m getting close to having just four pens from two lines.

The bottom line for me with eggs is this (in order of priority):  production of at least 4 eggs/week, size, shape, and then color.  Color is last because I know the Blue gene is dominant.  I don\'t know anything about the other traits.  The production I think is there now for the birds.  Now I hope to increase the size, get more uniformity in shape (the white eggs are large at best and almost round whereas my blue eggs are more \"egg shaped\"), and then of course get the deepest blue I can.

I hope this helps and will try to get back and see what others have to say.  It\'ll be interesting to learn from others comments and see what they have to say.  Feel free to email me if I can be of any further help.

God Bless,

Tailfeathers

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 11:30:32 PM »
Quote from: John
Here is a photo of a LF wheaten chick.  Note the dark line on the back of the head, that I circled.  This is the proper phenotype to look for in day-old wheaten chicks.

John, could you educate me and elaborate?  What is \"phenotype\"?  And what happens if that\'s not there?

I have seen the black speck or line on the backs of the heads of chicks and often wondered if it shouldn\'t be there.  Glad to know that I wasn\'t culling them!

So why is it there?  What does it mean?  How important is it?  Do BW\'s have it too?  Should I be ID\'ing any chicks that don\'t have it and seeing if they turn out to be Wheatens and then culling them if so?  

Thanks for opening up another can of worms!   :p

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 08:18:28 AM »
Tailfeathers, the best advice you gave was to keep meticulous records.   If you are going to hatch non-blue eggs, you need to know which birds came out of those eggs, because they will throw that trait to all of their offspring.  It\'s not so serious with the pullets from those non blue eggs, as you can tell if they are carrying the blue egg gene (inherited from the male parent obviously) as soon as they start laying.   But there is no way to determine the egg color genotype of the males until they are test mated.  That is a long and arduous process, not worth it in my opinion.  My advice:  use only males that came from well colored blue eggs, use your females to select for the other needed traits.  Large fowl wheatens and blue wheatens are not so hard to come by that anyone should feel pressured to use non-blue eggs for hatching.   Phenotype?  It is simply a five dollar word to indicate what the chick or chicken looks like.   Genotype?  It is the set of genetic factors that a certain bird carries.  Some times genotype can be partially determined by phenotype, for example the dominant gene Bl turns a wheaten to a blue wheaten or a splash wheaten, depending on whether one or two copies of Bl is/are present. Sometimes, as with egg color and fully recessive genes, the  genotype can\'t be determined simply by looking at a bird.   For example, you can\'t tell by just looking at a colored bird whether or not it carries one copy of the gene for recessive white plumage.  Most genes and/or their alleles are inherited in pairs, one from each parent.   Alleles are alternative genes for same location on a particular chromosome.  For example Bl and bl are alleles.   One dilutes black, the other does not.

John

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 10:22:21 AM »
Royce,
identify one or two at the most specific traits that you wish to improve on

Sounds like good advice.  Be a man with a plan (or woman, but that doesn\'t rhyme).
I like the idea of having two lines

Two or more is important.
My advice: use only males that came from well colored blue eggs,

Mike said it and Michael has written about it in more detail in a past Bulletin (Winter 2009) and on this forum.  It is advice that will get you to where you want to go sooner.
\"phenotype\"?

Here is a link to a great site with info about the E locus and phenotype.  Remember that birds are judged on thier looks (phenotype), not thier genes (genotype).  We can make better progress when we better understand the relationships between the two.
http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/mutations1.html#gen_mut_elocus
The E locus alleles produce the base primary colour/patterns to which varieties are build upon.

Black Ameraucanas are based on \"E\", brown red is based on \"ER\", wheaten is based on \"eWH\" (probably) and silver is based on \"e+\".
The common E locus alleles are:

•E (Extended Black) –black/cream day-old chicks, adults predominantly black, but may have some pheomelanin (silver or gold) areas in hackles.
•ER (Birchen)- black/cream day-old chicks, adults predominantly black, but may have more pheomelanin (silver or gold) areas in hackles, wing bows, etc.
•eWh (Dominant Wheaten)- cream day-old chicks, adult male Black Breasted Red, adult hen wheaten.
•e+ (Wild type) – dorsal stripes & eye stripe- day old chicks, adult male Black Breasted Red, adult hen salmon-breasted.
•eb (Brown) – brownish day-old chicks, adult male Black Breasted Red, adult hens brown breasted – stippling.

Jess

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 05:03:46 PM »
Evening Folks,
Well I caught the white egg layer in pen # 3. It sure wasn\'t the one I wanted it to be.
I had a Blue Wheaten and a Wheaten in the pen and it turned out to be the wheaten.Here she is, I don\'t want to get rid of her, but she has to go. She has only been laying about 2 weeks. The black on her back is dust where they dust themselves.
Thanks
Jess

Tailfeathers

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 09:18:53 PM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert
Tailfeathers, the best advice you gave was to keep meticulous records.   If you are going to hatch non-blue eggs, you need to know which birds came out of those eggs, because they will throw that trait to all of their offspring.  It\'s not so serious with the pullets from those non blue eggs, as you can tell if they are carrying the blue egg gene (inherited from the male parent obviously) as soon as they start laying.   But there is no way to determine the egg color genotype of the males until they are test mated.  That is a long and arduous process, not worth it in my opinion.  My advice:  use only males that came from well colored blue eggs, use your females to select for the other needed traits.  Large fowl wheatens and blue wheatens are not so hard to come by that anyone should feel pressured to use non-blue eggs for hatching.   Phenotype?  It is simply a five dollar word to indicate what the chick or chicken looks like.   Genotype?  It is the set of genetic factors that a certain bird carries.  Some times genotype can be partially determined by phenotype, for example the dominant gene Bl turns a wheaten to a blue wheaten or a splash wheaten, depending on whether one or two copies of Bl is/are present. Sometimes, as with egg color and fully recessive genes, the  genotype can\'t be determined simply by looking at a bird.   For example, you can\'t tell by just looking at a colored bird whether or not it carries one copy of the gene for recessive white plumage.  Most genes and/or their alleles are inherited in pairs, one from each parent.   Alleles are alternative genes for same location on a particular chromosome.  For example Bl and bl are alleles.   One dilutes black, the other does not.

Thanks Mike!  I agree wholeheartedly with the statement about not using a male unless it came from a good Blue egg.  All things considered, I agree - the time it takes to test mate males just isn\'t worth it in most cases since it\'s not too hard to get other Wheaten or BW\'s.  

All things being the same, I wouldn\'t use females that laid white eggs either but in the case of the one I had, it seemed more prudent to me to breed the two I had for the purposes I stated than risk bringing in other outside blood and a host of other \"unknowns\" which might really throw me for a loop.

Oh btw, thanks for the education!  Where do I send the $5???   :p

Tailfeathers

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 10:20:59 PM »
Thanks John for the link to that site.  I actually had that saved in my Favorites so am thinking you must\'ve posted that sometime past.  I read it but it\'s one of those things that I\'ll have to read and reread several times before even a little of it sinks in probably!

But at least now I feel a whole lot smarter - cuz I can talk about phenotype!   :D

God Bless,

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 08:07:05 AM »
John, thanks for that link.  I had not seen it before, but did glean some useful information from it.   It basically confirms my contention that Blue Ameraucanas should be based on ER, not E, and therefore should more appropriately have slate legs, not black legs.  It takes Pg to accomodate the proper lacing that has been missing in our blue birds, and Pg expresses better on ER.  The following is a quote from the research:

\"Further research by Dr Okimoto (quote from Classroom @ The Coop: Blue & E/ or ER/, posted May 02, 2006) ......
Some of us speculated that Andalusian blue used ER instead of E because ER would be more amenable to secondary pattern genes like Pg. I recently tested some Andalusian Blues from McMurray. I had a mixed batch of chicks so I could only tell the gray ones as blues the blacks could have been something else. There were three gray chicks that produced gray chick feathers. Two were homozygous ER ER and the third was heterozygous E ER. My guess is that E probably causes the dark birds and that the show quality birds are probably ER.\"

If this is correct, it further validates my contention that blues should not be bred to E based blacks.   In addition, blacks should be based on gold to get the best green sheen and eliminate the purple sheen, while blues should be based on silver so the feathers don\'t get \"rusty\" looking when they get old and worn.    Since I only keep my black bantams to breed back to my primary focus, blues, the blacks will be based on silver and ER.   That means the blacks will probably not be very competitive in the show room.   Thank you for bringing this all into focus for me!