Author Topic: Link under \"Out-crossing\" topic- Mahogany  (Read 3962 times)

OldChurchEggery

Link under \"Out-crossing\" topic- Mahogany
« on: November 17, 2011, 03:07:47 PM »
I followed the link John posted in the Out-crossing discussion and now I have a question about your experiences with Mahogany. From the description of the characteristics, I think I may be seeing this in a cockerel that appeared wheaten as a chick. I\'m going to take a picture this weekend of what I have but in the meantime I\'d be curious what other folks know about Mahogany and how it might work its way into a wheaten line. The cockerel in question looks very much like the sample image but with more red in the breast.

John

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 08:15:44 PM »
experiences with Mahogany. From the description of the characteristics, I think I may be seeing this in a cockerel that appeared wheaten as a chick.

I don\'t think I\'ve ever seen Mahogany (Mh) in wheaten Ameraucanas.  It is a dominant gene, so I don\'t believe any breeder would breed from a bird showing it.  
Do you know if the cockerel is wheaten or just \"appeared\" so as a chick?  If not wheaten, what are the other possibilities?
Play with the Kip calculator to try to determine his genes from his phenotype.  

OldChurchEggery

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 08:52:51 AM »
Is it appropriate to say on the forum where he came from if he came from someone here? I think he\'s very interesting looking and since I have the space, I\'m planning to keep him with some hatchery EEs I have just to see what comes of him.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 09:45:41 AM »
How about a photo?    My curiosity is piqued!

John

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 07:27:41 PM »
Is it appropriate to say on the forum where he came from if he came from someone here?

I would think so, if it pertains to the topic...as long as we don\'t have to bring tar and feathers.  
Either way, photos would be nice.

OldChurchEggery

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 10:12:22 AM »
I snapped a picture of the gent in question while he was eating. I hope this view gives enough information to help figure out whether this is mahogany at work. He was part of the chicks I got from John this spring. As I mentioned, I think he\'s neat looking so I\'ll hopefully hatch some of his progeny this spring in my EE group.

[/img]

Hope this works!

John

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 01:45:37 PM »
in my EE group

That is where he belongs.  I don\'t see Mh and didn\'t raise any that looked like that.  I can only assume he was from an experimental mating and wasn\'t supposed to be sent out in an order.  
Sorry about that,

Tailfeathers

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 09:03:16 PM »
John, that Kip Calculator is cool.  Care to give us all - or at least me! - a lesson on how to use it?

Btw, is that German?  I got a friend who\'s German.  He\'s where I got my Welsummers from.  He\'s one of the original five breeders that got the Wellies approved and accepted in the SOP and has probably been breeding them longer than anyone in the USA.  But he\'s like me and don\'t know a thing about genetics.

But I\'m learning and if that\'s German, maybe I\'ll sit down with him and we can play with it.

I tried playing with it a bit but it didn\'t really do me any good.  I understand Dominant and Recessive.  And I get Locus and Allele.  And it helped a bit with understanding the different locus\' when I clicked on \"Explain Locus\".  

I\'m hoping that if I can better understand it, it might help me with making some Easter Eggers that I\'m looking for.  I\'ve got close a couple of times but not just there yet.

Edited to say that I played with it some more and now I see that by clicking on the drop down list for the various alleles I can see the bird change.  So that helps a bit.  You should see all the different combinations I got as a result of what I think was crossing a BW male over a Welsummer hen and those don\'t even take into consideration comb shape nor beard!

Also, I had one Wheaten cockerel this year that had white in his primaries on both sides.  According to the chart I would guess that I have some recessive white on the C Locus as it only came out in that one bird.  Would that be a correct assumption?
God Bless,

dixieland

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 09:17:36 PM »
His coloring is really interesting!!!!! Very handsome!!!

John

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 03:42:40 PM »
I played with it some more

That\'s the key...I\'m no expert and haven\'t spent that much time figuring it all out.  It isn\'t Deutsch (German), but rather Dutch.  It is one of several sites by Henk Meijers and he is a regular contributor to The-Coop genetics forum.  He also has other \"calculators\" for rabbits, pigeons, etc.