Author Topic: Meet Request  (Read 5898 times)

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Meet Request
« on: December 13, 2011, 11:14:31 PM »
  We had a request for Ameraucana meets for two double shows in Hutchinson, Kansas-April 14 and Nov. 17, 2012.  Two meets for Sedalia, MO.-April 21, 2012 and an additional meet for our National meet-Oct. 27, 2012-Sedalia, Missouri.  All of these shows are double judged.  I would like input on double shows-points-club awards!
  Anyone interested in requesting a meet for these-please let me know ASAP!
Thanks,
Paul Smith
Paul Smith

Mike Gilbert

Meet Request
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 08:57:22 AM »
Since I\'m not a point chaser, I\'m inclined to discount the value of double shows.   When we had the national meet in Great Falls it was a double show, and we only sent an entry for the one our Meet was scheduled for.  If Sedalia is a double, we intend to do the same.   I\'m secure enough in my position that I don\'t need my ego stroked by accumulating meaningless points.  I mean who really cares?   There are all kinds of gimmicks that can be used to gain points and eventually all the designations that come with it.   I know people who have entered up to 50 birds of one variety in a show so they can gain points by beating more of their own birds.  Nobody else has to show any.  Another example (I think) is displays.   Enter a couple of displays and get points.   This is not to detract from those who have achieved certain status levels and done it the right way, like Paul did.   For those of you to whom this might come across sounding like sour grapes, I have one of those meaningless designations and the plaque that comes with it, but was not striving for it.  Receiving the first ABC lifetime achievement plaque meant much more, as evidenced by the fact that it hangs in our dining room, while the APA master exhibitor plaque rests in some box or drawer.

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Meet Request
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 09:53:12 AM »
I think I have done a double show with a State or District Meet and a Special Meet.  But, we don\'t have alot of shows up here.

I would think it to be a \"PIA\" for the Director; but to each their own.  There can be one State Meet per State and one District Meet, but I do not see anything about how many Special Meets there can be.
Jean

John

Meet Request
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 10:01:13 AM »
how many Special Meets there can be.

Endless and a nice tool to have for members that want to show often.

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Meet Request
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 09:43:23 AM »
Since I have been involved in exhibition poultry (1999) my thoughts-its one judges opinion-was confirmed several years ago when the double judging started!  We went to the Okie-4-Pack Show which had four judgings a few years ago.  The show folded as set-up help became scarce.

Personally I like only one judging.  Its difficult enough to get one set of photos and keep all the records correct and complete-especially in an one day show.

Sedalia-Oct. 27, 2012 our national meet is a double judged show.  Fayetteville, ARK.-Nov. 3, 2012-our district meet is also a double judged show.

When you enter the Sedalia show they are automatically judged twice.  Great Falls, MT. is the only double judged show that we have been to with the option of showing twice with a higher entry fee for those showing twice.

Paul Smith
Paul Smith

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
Meet Request
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 01:34:45 AM »
Quote from: paul
Since I have been involved in exhibition poultry (1999) my thoughts-its one judges opinion-was confirmed several years ago when the double judging started!  We went to the Okie-4-Pack Show which had four judgings a few years ago.  The show folded as set-up help became scarce.

Personally I like only one judging.  Its difficult enough to get one set of photos and keep all the records correct and complete-especially in an one day show.

Sedalia-Oct. 27, 2012 our national meet is a double judged show.  Fayetteville, ARK.-Nov. 3, 2012-our district meet is also a double judged show.

When you enter the Sedalia show they are automatically judged twice.  Great Falls, MT. is the only double judged show that we have been to with the option of showing twice with a higher entry fee for those showing twice.

Paul Smith

Fayetteville, AR is having a show?  I\'ve never been to a meet or show and really know nothing about any of it, or what the difference is, but I would love to go to this.  Right in my area.  Is it open to anyone?  How does this work?
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

far149

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Meet Request
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 07:41:46 PM »
You can go to the Heart of the Ozarks Poultry Association\'s website http://www.hotopa.com for information about their show. Yes, it is open to anyone.

If you\'re interested in exhibiting at this show you are fortunate that Paul set the meet so early. That gives you almost a year to get ready.
Aaron
Rhoton Hill Farms

faith valley

Meet Request
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 07:15:29 AM »
Personally I feel that if there are 2 judges and two different show reports get turned in, then it should be treated as 2 shows as far as the points go.  If someone pays 2 entry fees, they should be allowed to collect their points on both shows... I dont see the problem with it. In our area, there aren\'t any double shows.

grisaboy

Meet Request
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 10:41:14 AM »
Several years ago I showed a string of black lavender splits at a double show.  The interesting thing was how the two different judges handled the Ameraucanas.  The first judge took his time and worked through the birds a gave a pretty fair judging. (I liked him because he placed them pretty much the way I would of).  The second judge did not care much for Ameraucanas and placed them 1,2,3,4, etc as he went down the aisle.

Curtis

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
Meet Request
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 10:50:45 AM »
Quote from: far149
You can go to the Heart of the Ozarks Poultry Association\'s website http://www.hotopa.com for information about their show. Yes, it is open to anyone.

If you\'re interested in exhibiting at this show you are fortunate that Paul set the meet so early. That gives you almost a year to get ready.

Well, I don\'t see much information regarding the show.  I do see an application for membership.  Is membership required to participate in the shows?  Who puts this \"meet\" on?  Paul?  ABC?  Or hotopa?  I guess I just don\'t understand how this works.  As far as this meet goes, is it any poultry or just Ameraucanas?
Sharon

far149

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Meet Request
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 12:26:29 PM »
Sharon:

Membership in HOTOPA is not required to exhibit at the show but since the club is in your areas you may want to join. There will be many breeds represented the HOTOPA show.

Meets, in general terms, are set by various clubs for their breeds at different shows to promote through competition their breeds. For instance, the Rosecomb club is having their national meet and the Rhode Island Red Club is having a district meet at HOTOPA\'s show in addition to the Ameraucana club.

A national meet is sanctioned by the a national club leadership and is designed to attract birds from throughout the US. A district meet is still sanctioned by the parent club but for a smaller geographical area (district or state). You would expect to see more Ameraucanas than normal at HOTOPA show because Paul has set the meet there.

A meet allows club members to compete for awards (rosettes, points, etc) not given out by a show. It is also an excellent opportunity to meet and learn from fellow breeders.

Our website has further information on Ameraucana meets. If you don\'t already subscribe, the Poultry Press has tons of information on showing.
Aaron
Rhoton Hill Farms

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
Meet Request
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 01:38:35 PM »
Thank you Aaron.  That helps my understanding.
Sharon

Beth C

Meet Request
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 03:29:34 PM »
Curtis has a good point. I\'ve never been to a double poultry show, but I like this at horse shows for that very reason. With 2 judges you have 2 chances to get a fair assessment of your animal.

Mike Gilbert

Meet Request
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 05:17:44 PM »
Beth, how will you know which assessment is the most fair?
Isn\'t it kind of like asking around for opinions on a subject until someone gives you the answer you want?   The only person you really have to please with your birds is yourself.  Any judge only gets a snapshot view of each bird at any given point in time.  For those who want to accumulate points, I have no problem with that.  It\'s just not for me, because I have seen how the system can be manipulated.

Beth C

Meet Request
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 05:05:56 PM »
With an individual bird you really can\'t know. But in the case Curtis mentioned where one judge ignored the breed as a whole, it\'s nice there was a second judge who took his time looking them over and placing them. But you make a good point, and you pretty much summed up why I don\'t show horses anymore. I watched my friends spend money they didn\'t have to impress people they didn\'t know and ultimately end up selling an animal they enjoyed because it wasn\'t \'good enough.\' A few years down the road they\'re standing there with an animal everyone likes but them wondering why it isn\'t fun anymore. I\'ve had the same 2 horses for over 20 years with no complaints...