Author Topic: Erminett genetics question  (Read 7526 times)

jerryse

Erminett genetics question
« on: December 14, 2011, 11:45:11 AM »
I have been playing with this gene for 2 years.At first I thought it was pied.I read now that pied is recessive and erminett is dominate.Since I have produced these with 1 copy and only roosters this must be erminett.I will assume since it inhibits melanin a bird with 2 copies would be nearly white.I found a question online about mating a white erminett with a black erminett producing only black.Just does not sound right.I am very poor with the chicken calculator.Can anyone help find the answer?Ermin faveroles look columbian and must be the columbian gene.

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bryngyld.com
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 08:56:16 AM »
This might be a good article, but you have to pay to view the whole thing.
http://jhered.oxfordjournals.org/content/55/5/200.extract

Also at the bottom of this very long page is a genetics chart.  I don\'t see Ermine, but then I really don\'t know what it is or what else it could be called.
http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kippengenen
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bryngyld.com
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 08:59:33 AM »
I lifted this from a discussion on BYC:

Actually the colors Light, Columbian, and Ermine get mixed up.  It depends on the breed.  Ermine on any breed is the same however, the same with columbians.  Before I confuse you further, let me explain.  Ermine is different than columbian in that the saddle on ermines lack the black stipes.  Columbians on any breed have black striping in the saddle.  Light is more confusing because Light Sussex is refering to the Ermine color, and Light Brahmas refer to the columbian color.  (although the columbian color name didn\'t come around until long after the light brahmas).  If I confused anyone, let me know and I\'ll try to restate it more clearly.

David

Is Erminette the same gene as Ermine?
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

jerryse

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 10:45:28 AM »
I have run into this confusion also.Ermine is close to or the same as columbian.Erminett is basically the dominate form of pied.Blue is a dominate gene and 2 copies make splash.I was trying to figure out what 2 copies would look like.My guess is mostly white.So far I have only produced birds with 1 copy.I can find very little info on this.I got this gene from some araucana roosters.The arauacana people are calling it splash cuckoo but  what I have does not breed as splash should.

jerryse

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 11:34:32 AM »
I believe I found the answer.It says a hetero erminette is pure white.I may have a pullet that is hetero.She is white with pure white legs.It would seem that if 2 copies takes out all the black in the feathers it would do the same to the legs.I will pair her with a black rooster and see what I get.If she is hetero then all the chicks should be erminette.

jerryse

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 11:54:35 AM »
ooops What I meant to say was homozygous.

OldChurchEggery

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 03:43:44 PM »
Did you have any hatches this spring to find out more about this variety? I\'m interested to see pictures of the resulting chicks and just to hear about your tests overall!

jerryse

Re: Erminett genetics question
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 08:51:58 AM »
I have not hatched any yet.She just started setting on some of her own eggs.

jerryse

Re: Erminett genetics question
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 11:29:30 AM »
I have 5 chicks out of this hen now.Chicks prove her to be pure for erminett or homozygus.I may have said hetro earlier.I got 2 erminett and 3 white.She was with a black rooster and then a white erminett.Chicks are from both roosters .I now know this white rooster is erminett.This gene is of no use in ameraucanas as 2 copies give white legs and 1 copy spotted legs.Still it may be of interest since so little is written about it.