Author Topic: LF Lavender questions, esp. regarding males  (Read 2610 times)

mustangsaguaro

LF Lavender questions, esp. regarding males
« on: January 05, 2012, 04:44:30 PM »
So I am trying to figure out who/what to keep and what to get rid of for my LF Lavs for breeding this coming spring/summer. Would appreciate some input from you veteran breeders of the breed.

I have a limited amount of birds to work w/ right now  so I am planning on keeping all of my females I have which is 5 Lavs, and 2 Lav splits, that are blacks. I also have 4 Lav cockerels. Am thinking of keeping 2 of the 4 but not sure which ones. One of my cockerels is 9 mos old now and the other three are will be 5mos middle of this month.

The thing I don\'t like about the 9mos old is he has feathers on his toes/shanks. I know that is a major fault. Also, one of the 5mos old has some feathers on his toes/shanks as well but not as bad as the 9mos old. So my question is would it be best to get rid of those 2. Or should I look at how each one looks overall and go w/ the 2 that fit to the standard as best as they can? Only reason I\'d like to keep the 9mos old is because not sure if the younger cockerels will be ready to breed come March or April. I\'d like to get some chicks on the ground by then and I know the older guy, the females he\'s in w/ now at least one of the females eggs appear to be fertile.

My other question is since I have a total of 7 females thinking of splitting them into 2 groups perhaps have 3 w/ one male and 4 w/ another one. Since I have the 2 black females would I want to put the 2 blacks in the same pen or would putting one in one pen and one in the other be a good idea?

What would you guys do? Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

If you want to see pics of the males I can try and post some tomorrow so you can see what I have.

Thanks

crystalcreek

LF Lavender questions, esp. regarding males
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 06:27:16 PM »
Hi Kim; there are lots on here more experienced than me, but I\'ll offer this....anything with feathered shanks is an automatic cull for me.  I keep sisters together in a pen with a male that compliments them or offers something I want to work toward.   The females in the pen should be outstanding in the areas where the male falls short.  Post pics of all your birds and I\'m sure you\'ll get some input.