Author Topic: White tail fluff  (Read 9468 times)

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
White tail fluff
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 08:50:17 AM »
Regarding the above picture, is the fluff that shows though the side of the bird next to the saddle feathers a fault also?  I have a few roosters with this side fluff so I would like to know.
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

Mike Gilbert

White tail fluff
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 01:56:35 PM »
I would need to see a photo of what you are asking about.

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
White tail fluff
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 10:17:19 PM »
It\'s in the picture that Schroeder posted on the previous page.  The fluff that is sticking out besides the saddle feathers and above the wing.  It is dark in color in that photo.
Sharon

Mike Gilbert

White tail fluff
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2012, 08:05:04 AM »
That particular bird has a lot of problems.  The Ameraucana Standard is silent with regard to undercolor showing through in places other than the base of the tail, but why would that be considered anything but undesireable?    In adult birds that have abundant feathering of the proper length, the undercolor should not be showing anywhere under normal circumstances, with the  exception of the muffs.

Schroeder

White tail fluff
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2012, 01:18:55 PM »
Mike:
I agree that bird has a lot of problems although I should have pointed out it was very windy that day.

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
White tail fluff
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2012, 02:34:38 PM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert
That particular bird has a lot of problems.  The Ameraucana Standard is silent with regard to undercolor showing through in places other than the base of the tail, but why would that be considered anything but undesireable?    In adult birds that have abundant feathering of the proper length, the undercolor should not be showing anywhere under normal circumstances, with the  exception of the muffs.

I don\'t know.  Personally, I don\'t find it unsightly but did not know whether it was a fault to be avoided or not.  Thanks for the info.   Like I said I have a few birds (mostly LF blacks)that exhibit this (not the base tail fluff) and now it looks like I have something else to consider in who to use for breeding.  But I may have to ignore it for now since other things are more pressing.
Sharon

Tailfeathers

White tail fluff
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2012, 04:25:25 PM »
Mike has pretty much nailed it down with all his comments but in particular the last ones.

Which brings me to comment today.  When I look at the picture I see two things that stick out to me.  One, it appears that the tail is sticking up at about 90 degrees.  This may be just the way it was at the time or he may have a squirrel tail which is another deduction and a cause of the fluff showing to a greater degree.

Secondly, he appears to be a young Wheaten cockerel.  If it were me, I\'d be watching him a lot to see how he carries that tail.  If it stays up most of the time, I\'d mark him for culling.  

As for the fluff - both at base of tail and showing thru the saddles - I wouldn\'t be too quick to cull for that as the more he develops the more that may disappear.  

My experience with Wheatens and BWs is that they take a lot of time to mature and it may be a mistake to cull for anything other than obvious DQ\'s or serious Faults.

God Bless,

Mike Gilbert

White tail fluff
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 05:24:59 PM »
Royce pretty much filled in the detail I left out.   I would just add one thing.  Those hackles have solid black striping, and I don\'t think you will ever get rid of it until males with at least broken striping, or shafted striping are used.   I don\'t see it going away by using males with this type of hackle coloring.
Wheaten males should have no black in the hackle, and blue wheatens should have no blue in the hackle.   I\'m truly sorry if that sounds hard nosed, but there is nothing to be gained by sugar coating the truth.

HappyMtn

White tail fluff
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2012, 10:52:53 AM »
I have seen some of my wheaten roos show varying amounts of fluff- depending on what time of year it is. They may not have the optimal tail angle, but I am not really in a position to cull a bird because it shows more fluff \"sometimes\".  After a good moult, it\'s barely there.