Author Topic: Lav vs Lav split still confused  (Read 3727 times)

mustangsaguaro

Lav vs Lav split still confused
« on: February 28, 2012, 10:57:07 AM »
I have had this explained to me a few times but am still confused. I have read forum posts on this but again still confused. So please bear w/ me.

My understanding is breeding a lav split (lav bird) to another lav split (again lav bird) from this pairing no matter what you will always get 100% pure lav is this correct?

Now a pure lav to split (visually black bird, but carrying the lav gene). With this pairing you get 50% pure lav/50% splits. Is this correct?

Now if you breed say a pure black to a split (again visually black bird but carries the lav gene). With this pairing what would you get?

Apologies for being so confused and having to go over this for probably the thousandth time.

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 11:12:01 AM »
A lavender split bird is a black bird carrying the lavender gene.  When two lavender split birds are bred together, you get:

12.5% lav pullets
12.5% lav cockerels
25% black pullets
25% black cockerels
12.5% lav split pullets
12.5% lav split cockerels

You will not be able to tell who is carrying the lavender gene on the visibly black offspring.

A lavender bred to a lavender is 100% lavender offspring.

If you breed a lavender split bird to a black bird you get:

25% black pullets
25% split lavender pullets
25% black cockerels
25% split lavender cockerels

Again you will not be able to identify which are lavender split without doing test breedings.
Jean

jerryse

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 11:21:32 AM »
Anytime you see lav it is pure for lav.Split x split yields 25% pure lav 75% visual black.25% will be pure for black 50% will be split.Can\'t tell em apart by looks.Black x split.100% visual blacks.50% pure for black 50% split.Again can\'t tell em apart by looking.Breed them together and the yield will be very small on pure lavs.Depending on what the rooster carries.Again can\'t tell by looking.If he happens to be pure for black the yield for lav is zero.In that situation a lav rooster over the hens is your best choice.

jerryse

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 11:23:09 AM »
Jean posted while I was typing.We basically said the same thing.

mustangsaguaro

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 11:49:01 AM »
Thanks for the explanations. It makes a little more sense now. I will have to print this out and keep it handy.

dixieland

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 07:38:16 PM »
Jean & Jerry-
 Those are the most comprehendable explanations I have read... I\'m enjoying this thread!!!!