Author Topic: TN Lavender cuckoo project  (Read 15907 times)

HappyMtn

TN Lavender cuckoo project
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 07:35:10 PM »
Next to a regular lavender pullet.
Jerry- if you see this- you were right about the legs. The lav cuckoos still have slate very similar to the wheatens, but the regular cuckoo have splotchy legs so far.

jerryse

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 10:11:19 PM »
Yes it seems lavender cuckoo and lavender barred are compatiable with the slate leg requirement of the standard.The K or slow feathered gene is not prohibited by the standard.The barred rock breeders do not seem to have a problem with increased susceptability to marecks disease.While some may consider the K gene undesirable it will be up to each breeder to decide if he wants it.I have a few barred rocks for brown eggs.I like the color and have no problems with the K gene.I do not have K in my lavenders.So it seems this was picked up by some by using a outcross to breeds that carry the K gene.I give up trying to reason with the naysayers.Welcome lavender cuckoo and lavender barred projects.

HappyMtn

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 10:28:31 PM »
I wouldn\'t say these are slow feathering though. I am wondering if there will be any benefit from having the marans\' more hard-feather in its make-up? I am going to grow out a few good roos to see if it helps with fretting.

It almost seems like lavender is just not meant for softer feathered breeds.  

jerryse

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 07:38:22 AM »
A harder feathered bird would get rid of the fluff.You would pickup the dark brown egg color {olive egger} but new hollands are said to lay white eggs with red ear lobes.This could elinimante the green eggs.Selection required but can be done.Result would be nice blue eggs in time.Some good blacks with good egg color and not much fluff would be quicker.I am thinking Paul Smith bred.Excellent show stock already.Less time,less feed,less pen space.I see some Smith line on ebay now.I think I may buy for this project.Straight from Paul would be best but these are eggs and will be less cost than chicks.No offense to Paul.Just making a cost drcision.

jerryse

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 07:44:52 AM »
I am also trying the columbian gene and silkie idea on the regular cuckoo.I will keep you informed on the results.I love genetics.Self taught backyard style of course.Theories are fine but results are better information.

HappyMtn

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 10:51:31 AM »
One of my split hens is from Crystalcreek\'s Smith birds. She\'s a nice looking girl.  The marans that I used to start this laid a nearly white egg and had clean shanks. I haven\'t had any feathered legs pop up yet, but a few single combs and clean faces. To be expected.
I am loving the look and temperment of these guys. Can\'t wait to see what kind of egg color we get. The f1 culls lay nice blue eggs, and the f2s should be laying this summer.  

Yes- keep me posted on what you get to happen with the silkies. That was suggested to me, but I don\'t raise them.  

jerryse

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 09:50:44 PM »
a white silkie rooster is on my shopping list.None at the sale barn yet.A swap meet at Kankakee Il april 1 should have some if none show up by then.

dak

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2012, 09:39:16 PM »
Quote from: jerryse
A harder feathered bird would get rid of the fluff.You would pickup the dark brown egg color {olive egger} but new hollands are said to lay white eggs with red ear lobes.This could elinimante the green eggs.Selection required but can be done.Result would be nice blue eggs in time.Some good blacks with good egg color and not much fluff would be quicker.I am thinking Paul Smith bred.Excellent show stock already.Less time,less feed,less pen space.I see some Smith line on ebay now.I think I may buy for this project.Straight from Paul would be best but these are eggs and will be less cost than chicks.No offense to Paul.Just making a cost drcision.

I crossed my Shaffer Lav cock to my Smith hens last year.  This year I have about bred the split x splits and hatched almost 100 chicks to get 20 Lavs.  I am getting more Blacks from Paul this year to continue this process.  In addition to being beautiful Blacks, the eggs size and color this year from the 2010 hens is great.

DaydreamsFarm

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2012, 10:42:06 PM »
Cool!!

HappyMtn

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2012, 03:57:45 PM »
I was really looking forward to diving back into this project. Got back from out of town to find 5 of my 6 girls in this pen all broody. Going to be a long summer!!!!!

CindyM

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2012, 08:59:41 PM »
Amy, here is a pic of a cockeral from your eggs. I know the legs are an issue but he is very pretty and I can\'t wait for him to mature and get that beautiful tail in . Hard to see the cuckoo but I am going to try to get better pictures when the lighting cooperates.

crystalcreek

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2012, 10:32:44 AM »
Quote from: HappyMtn
I was really looking forward to diving back into this project. Got back from out of town to find 5 of my 6 girls in this pen all broody. Going to be a long summer!!!!!

I have two broodies.....

HappyMtn

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2012, 04:03:04 PM »
I didn\'t see these new posts til just now- must have unsubscribed by mistake or something!

Looking good Cindy!
Crystalcreek- that hen looks HUGE. LOL!

crystalcreek

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2012, 11:22:44 PM »
You\'d be huge, too, if you had 20 chicks parked under you!  She hatched some and so did her daughter, both on the same day thanks to some careful setting of the eggs under both!  I\'m letting the more experienced, older hen raise them.  It\'s working great so far.  Imagine her suprise when I add 25 black ones this next week from Paul.  We\'ll see if she adopts them all or not.

HappyMtn

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2012, 07:29:41 AM »
lol! I have had cochins like that- \"Give me ALL the babies!!!!!\"

Having that whole pen go worked out good for me. I know the waterfowl only take an extra week to hatch, but they seem to tie up the incubators forever.