Author Topic: My special black chick  (Read 5524 times)

John

My special black chick
« on: March 07, 2012, 09:15:03 PM »
He (or she) hatched this week.  The two extra legs and feet are growing from the rear area, left of the vent.

Russ

My special black chick
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 09:32:05 PM »
Look\'s like you better call  KFC that might be the perfect kind of chicken for them. 4leg\'s 4 thigh\'s 1 breast  :p

dixieland

My special black chick
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 09:34:49 PM »
This is really cool!!!
Do you think this is the result of \"twins\" where the cells did not split completely?
Or is this a different mutation~~maybe along the same lines as the polydactyl gene?

Thanks for sharing, John!

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
My special black chick
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 10:29:02 PM »
EEWWW

Are they attached to the body or do they feel like they could be removed easily from the skin??????

INQUIRING MINDS.....
Jean

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
My special black chick
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 12:05:39 AM »
That\'s funny. Someone was just asking me yesterday what would happen if you tried to incubate a double yolker. I said I didn\'t know, but it probably wouldn\'t live. Was this from a double yolk egg?

Sharon
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

Christie Rhae

My special black chick
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 01:34:09 AM »
ack..that is....disturbing... :o

John

My special black chick
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 09:20:09 AM »
Do you think this is the result of \"twins\"

It may be.  I believe that is the theory when people and animals have extra limbs.  There are photos of other 4 legged chickens on the Internet that can be found by a search.  
I guess it is normal for us to stare at and study those that are different.  I posted the photo to show what can happen and won\'t sell her/him to a sideshow.  A friend on the phone last night said this chick should live a full life...I guess because it is special he thinks it should have special privileges.  I don\'t have a use for it and will give it to any club member that wants it.  

attached to the body

Yes.  I haven\'t studied it in detail, but the shanks/legs seem to come from a common hock and I can feel a thigh beyond that that protrudes from the body much like the normal two thighs...just in an odd location.

incubate a double yolker

http://ameraucana.org/abcforum/index.php?a=topic&t=1529

Beth C

My special black chick
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 11:54:15 AM »
John, you\'re going to end up with something in Ripley\'s yet!

A friend on the phone last night said this chick should live a full life...I guess because it is special he thinks it should have special privileges.  I don\'t have a use for it and will give it to any club member that wants it.

Sounds like your friend needs a 4-legged chicken. ;)

dixieland

My special black chick
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 05:46:23 PM »
Thanks for sharing with us......I guess chickens are like dogs in the regard that if you breed animals for a long enough time you will see EVERYTHING!

Cesar “CJ”

• ABC Members
  • One is just not enough
    • View Profile
Re: My special black chick
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 02:42:58 PM »
Does anyone know whatever happened to this chick?

Lee G

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Re: My special black chick
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 01:32:17 PM »
Likely it was culled.  ???
~ The duty of the breeder today and tomorrow is to create rather than imitate or simply perpetuate -- Horace Dryden