Author Topic: Size in LF  (Read 8521 times)

Schroeder

Size in LF
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 10:34:18 AM »
Jerry, can you get real basic for me?  If I put a LF WA over my LF SA\'s, I will have all splits.  Then when I breed the splits to each other what percentage of each will I get, and will it be difficult to identify the pure Silvers from the undesirables?

Christie Rhae

Size in LF
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 01:08:29 PM »
Maybe I need to get my husband\'s fish scale and a sling and weigh my pullets.  I have one blue wheaten pullet that I hatched from Denise\'s eggs (Paradise Found Farms).  She dwarfs my other pullets of similar age.  It makes me think my others are small.  Maybe they are average and my BW is just a big girl...
Very nice egg color too.

Mike Gilbert

Size in LF
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 01:23:26 PM »
Quote from: Schroeder
Jerry, can you get real basic for me?  If I put a LF WA over my LF SA\'s, I will have all splits.  Then when I breed the splits to each other what percentage of each will I get, and will it be difficult to identify the pure Silvers from the undesirables?

That\'s easy.  You will have easter eggers - a total mess.  Your silvers will likely pick up autosomal red from the wheatens, and your wheatens will pick up worse hackle striping from the silvers.  The only way that works is to breed the F-1\'s back to pure silvers and pure wheatens, and you will still get mostly color culls.

John

Size in LF
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 02:05:42 PM »
Your silvers will likely pick up autosomal red from the wheatens

That\'s what Curtis warned me about when we were at Indy and I told him I was planning a cross of bantam wheatens and silvers to make some improvement to silvers.

grisaboy

Size in LF
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 02:27:36 PM »

You can improve size by crossing to other varieties.  Some of the blacks are getting some good size and these could be used for an outcross.  You would still have to breed the F1\'s back and then the F2\'s back again to get to your original color.

There has been a lot of discussion lately with some other breeds that are improving size just through selection.  Buckeyes are what I have read the most about.  Hatch a lot of birds weigh each of them at twenty weeks and keep the biggest males and the biggest females as your breeders and get rid of the rest. Use the front section of the APA Standard as your selection guide.  Select not just for weight but back width, abdomen depth etc.  You should see improvements within a couple of generations.  Probably as quick as you would by outcrossing and then breeding back to the variety standard.

One thing I would suggest when doing this, Cull for weight, width depth FIRST.  Then cut the remaining birds in half again culling for breed type and color.
Only plan on keeping about 10% of what you hatch.

If you cull for color and breed type first, it will take you longer to get the size you want.

Curtis

jerryse

Size in LF
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 10:21:19 AM »
                Ok will try.In theory 25% should inherit the correct striped chick pattern.Half of these may be red [light brown] if rooster has black striped hackle/saddle.BB red if no striping.Most will be inbetween the two.Cull any light colored striped chicks as they carry the Inwheaten gene.Any striped chicks kept should be culled further for wheaten feathering traits.White beard in males and the classic splotching pattern of wheaten plumage.Females the same cull any with wheaten juvenile plumage pattern.In theory 25% will be pure for the wheaten gene.This will be 1/2 wheaten and 1/2 silver wheaten or salmon if red shouldered.May have some black striping [non standard for the wheaten family] as this is bred out of the wheaten family.The remaining 50% should be intermediate in color between silver and wheaten.50% carrying silver 50% red.Many or the males will be split for silver/gold due the sex linked nature of silver/gold.If what I found in LF silvers last year holds true these will visually be silver.I reported it as dominate silver last year but now think stay silver is a better term.Taking this idea from the stay white trait in whites of many breeds.This is a to take in at once.Hope it helps.If any mistakes were made in percentages I am sure someone will catch and correct it for me.

jerryse

Size in LF
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 10:25:15 AM »
I see a couple of typos.Poor proof reading.Hope you can still understand the meaning

Schroeder

Size in LF
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 09:13:59 PM »
I have so much to learn about genetics.  It would be great to have a Genetics 101 class at the national meet.

dixieland

Size in LF
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2012, 12:46:47 AM »
I have so much to learn about genetics.  It would be great to have a Genetics 101 class at the national meet.

I AGREE!!! And we have some of the BEST teachers right here in our club!!!!