Author Topic: Chick Hatchery  (Read 5379 times)

John

Chick Hatchery
« on: March 14, 2012, 02:10:15 PM »
Here is a link to a YouTube video I made...
http://youtu.be/hWxvN_RO2ck

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Chick Hatchery
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 03:26:29 PM »
Great Video John and great setup!  

For the Leahy, did you use the GQF turning trays/system or some other system?  
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

John

Chick Hatchery
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 04:02:57 PM »
did you use the GQF turning trays/system

No, but I patterned the design after the GQF using galvanized sheet metal and a pop-rivet gun.  It has 4 turning racks and each holds 4 plastic trays of 30 LF eggs or 46 bantam eggs.  This was done about 20 years ago.  Just a few years ago I replaced the wafer thermostats with two electronic ones.  Each controls a heating coil...one in the top and one in the bottom.

Mike Gilbert

Chick Hatchery
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 04:19:20 PM »
Nice job John.   A very nice setup.

Beth C

Chick Hatchery
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 05:23:16 PM »
Very nice! I really like the homemade brooder boxes - you wouldn\'t happen to have plans and/or some detailed pics. Did you use GQF heaters in them?

John

Chick Hatchery
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 07:45:02 PM »
Did you use GQF heaters in them?

No, I don\'t think they are made by GQF.  I bought them thru Cutler\'s and they weren\'t cheap.  Here are a couple links to old topics that show these brooders along with a parts list.
http://ameraucana.org/abcforum/index.php?a=topic&t=427
http://ameraucana.org/abcforum/index.php?a=topic&t=213

nice setup

Mike has been here several times, but I don\'t think when the incubators were going.  It isn\'t a big operation, but I\'m very fortunate to have what I do as far a hobby hatchery goes.  The thing I should have done differently in the video is taken down the old blue bath towel that I use to cover the window.  It is stained with rust, but Kathy said it looks like blood.

Scott

Chick Hatchery
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 09:18:28 PM »
Great video John.  Very professional facility you have there.  I have seen some pictures of your runs / pens on the forum.  Are you going to post a video of the rest of your operation?

Christie Rhae

Chick Hatchery
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 02:16:34 AM »
Awesome!  I think I saw some eggs that are gonna hatch babies meant for me!  lol

Schroeder

Chick Hatchery
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 09:52:47 AM »
Thanks John for taking the time to share this with us.  The Silver LF I got from you last spring are exceptional.

OldChurchEggery

Chick Hatchery
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 11:07:23 AM »
This is such a nice set-up. Thank you for sharing with us!

John

Chick Hatchery
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 06:19:23 PM »
Many of the orders this year include LF wheaten and lavender, so these orders are taking some time to fill. :(
On the other hand very few orders were for bantam Ameraucana (lavender & silver) or \"surplus\" (could be anything) chicks.
Although I\'ve quit accepting orders for this year, I\'ll probably have weeks with extra chicks that fit those two categories and can sell and ship them on the days that I do at a discounted rate (I can only feed so many).  Please email me if you may be interested and I\'ll notify you some Tuesday afternoon by email to see if you want them...if and when I have them. ;)  

vanalpaca

Chick Hatchery
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 10:55:58 PM »
If your blacks are E/E and lavendar have ER, would the black split lavendars be E/ER?? And would that help us on our blue lace project birds??

John

Chick Hatchery
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 09:18:14 AM »
If your blacks are E/E and lavender have ER, would the black split lavenders be E/ER?? And would that help us on our blue lace project birds??

The blacks and lavenders should both be E/E, in my opinion.
If you get black/lavender splits that aren\'t 100% black as mature adults, I would think they may be E/ER and not breed from them.