Author Topic: Laced Blue Ameraucana  (Read 92326 times)

Christie Rhae

Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2012, 05:30:22 PM »
lol, yes I actually am fascinated.
In my real life I own a salon and do nails...my alter ego wants to be a chicken geneticist.   :rolleyes:

I find the whole subject very daunting.  But by taking little chunks and studying a lot about it I am able to actually understand.  

grisaboy

Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #106 on: April 30, 2012, 09:43:54 AM »
Quote from: Christie Rhae
 Here is a link to the breeders site that I am trying to get andalusians from.  He has sent me new pics too but I do not have authority to post them.
gg.cochinsrule.com  Go to the PRESERVATION BREEDS tab.

Christie,
Those are very nice blue Andalusians. They should give you a great start.  Are you planning to keep a breeding pen of these is addition to using them to improve the Ameraucanas? Notice that the pens are set up blue on blue.  I think a lot of Andalusian breeders do this so they can be sure they are setting up their breeding pens with the best lacing.  Of course you will get the typical black/blue/splash ratio when the chicks hatch.  But probably a good strategy to follow when setting up breeding pens for blue Ameraucanas.
(I really like what i can see of their breeding pen set up.)
Curtis

Mike Gilbert

Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #107 on: April 30, 2012, 12:25:56 PM »
Great color on some of those Andalusians.  I sure hope we can see that in Ameraucanas some day.   By the way, is that Tom Roebuck\'s site?  He is a well known breeder of buff in several breeds.

Mike Gilbert

Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #108 on: April 30, 2012, 12:30:36 PM »
Quote from: KevinK1962
Quote from: grisaboy
Quote from: John

I think they could drop the part about \"laced\", since it can\'t be done and still maintain the wheaten pattern...based on what is accepted genetic science as of today.

Here is another link.
http://www.greenerpasturesfarm.com/ameraucanachickens.html
Check out the cockerel about halfway down the page.
Looks like someone has gotten pretty close to acheiving the impossible (based on accepted genetic science).

Curtis

I agree with John about lacing on wheaten.
The bird in that pic does not have lacing, it has edging. The only way one might make proper lacing on the blue wheaten males would be to run separate cock breeding & pullet breeding pens. Krys

I would be in favor of changing the wording in the Standards to reflect the wording \"distinct edging of dark blue\" instead of the present \"lacing\".   The picture in the link shows what I had in mind when the standard was first written, but we didn\'t have the advantage of sharing genetic knowledge via the internet in those days.

Christie Rhae

Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #109 on: May 01, 2012, 07:56:54 PM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert
Great color on some of those Andalusians.  I sure hope we can see that in Ameraucanas some day.   By the way, is that Tom Roebuck\'s site?  He is a well known breeder of buff in several breeds.

Well that is weird.  I could have sworn I responded but now I do not see my post anywhere...

Yes that is Tom Roebuck\'s site.  He has been very helpful with info about Andalusians and is willing to send me eggs in a live chick box next time.

I thought you guys might know who he is, he seems to have been breeding and showing birds for awhile.  

After spending so much time studying andalusians and how hard it is to get them I hope to keep a small flock of pure andalusians.  They have grown on me.  lol

heatherscooby77

Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #110 on: May 11, 2012, 12:23:23 AM »
Pic 1, so this is edging?

heatherscooby77

Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2012, 12:24:07 AM »
Is this lacing?

heatherscooby77

Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2012, 12:25:50 AM »
Just a cute pic of one of the peeps.  I am trying not to get attached until I know they are staying!!!

heatherscooby77

Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #113 on: May 11, 2012, 12:34:20 AM »
I have 20 Blue Andalusians due to hatch on 05/22/12.  Hopefully all goes well, and I get some good lacing!!!  I got my new bator, no more still air little giants!!!  My hatch rates were terrible.  0-50%   I tried everything I could think of.  It was the bators, coupled with my inability to control things as well as I wanted to.  Hope everyone else is doing well in the fight for lacing......

OldChurchEggery

Re: Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #114 on: May 14, 2012, 08:45:30 AM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert
Great color on some of those Andalusians.  I sure hope we can see that in Ameraucanas some day.   By the way, is that Tom Roebuck\'s site?  He is a well known breeder of buff in several breeds.

Well that is weird.  I could have sworn I responded but now I do not see my post anywhere...

Yes that is Tom Roebuck\'s site.  He has been very helpful with info about Andalusians and is willing to send me eggs in a live chick box next time.

I thought you guys might know who he is, he seems to have been breeding and showing birds for awhile. 

After spending so much time studying andalusians and how hard it is to get them I hope to keep a small flock of pure andalusians.  They have grown on me.  lol
Tom is about as nice as can be. He writes our newsletter at the Virginia Poultry Breeders Association and is always friendly and outgoing at our meetings. I hope you can find what you're looking for because this sounds like such an interesting project!

Chicklover

« Reply #115 on: May 15, 2012, 02:10:58 AM »
I have finally finish with the breeding of the blue/black Ameraucana's. I will be starting on the lacing project next. I finally got another chick from Steve Jones and looks to be a male. I will give the girls a few weeks to get cleaned out from the other Cock and then I will put the Andalusian on them. Hope to start seeing the first F1 in med to end of June. Will post pics when they start hatching.

Christie Rhae

« Reply #116 on: May 15, 2012, 04:17:11 AM »
I am hatching my first batch of ameraucana x andalusian chicks right now.  So far 3 blues and one splash.  The parents of these birds are not fabulous examples of the breeds so they will probably all be culls eventually but I hope to learn something in the process. 
Just waiting to get better birds..  Sometimes I wish I could just get all the birds I want right away...  but then I remind myself to relish the process.  It will be so sweet someday when I have amazing laced blue ameraucanas.   8)

Christie Rhae

« Reply #117 on: May 15, 2012, 02:41:38 PM »
*insert excited squeal*   
Tom Roebuck is applying for the import permit to ship me eggs in a live chick box.  Time to start holding my breath again!!  Oh please oh please let these eggs make it.   ;D

I just ordered another hovobator. I have 2 that I incubate in and one lil giant that I hatch in.  But this hatch that I have going right now the temps swung wildly and humidity will not stay up.  I go to bed with the humidity at 65% and wake up to it at 40%.  I had two chicks that were mostly zipped but then dried out and could not make it the rest of the way.  I had even installed a fan in the thing but I am just not impressed at all.  When I hatch in a hovobator everything stays perfect...no monkeying with the temp knob, adding water all the time.  Maybe I will use the lil giant for them to finish getting their strength before I pop the chicks into my brooder. 

By the time I get my fourth styro bator I could easily have bought one of those awesome cabinet incubators...if only they did not want to charge me 450.00 in shipping!!! 

I have an old mini fridge that I am thinking of turning into an incubator...but I am intimidated by that project.  One of these days....

Anyhow...just had to share...   blue andalusian eggs from Tom Roebuck... weeeeeeee!!    ::)

Christie Rhae

« Reply #118 on: May 25, 2012, 02:34:04 PM »
Whoop!!  I am now the proud owner of black ameraucana chicks from Mr. John Blehm!  My awesome andalusian eggs should ship no later that June 7th.  By this time next year I will be hatching F1's like crazy!!   lol..   good thing I ain't in no rush!   ;D

(and wheaten chicks...  :) )

Christie Rhae

« Reply #119 on: June 08, 2012, 12:40:56 AM »
I got more blue andalusian eggs!  Tom Roebuck sent me 32 eggs in a live chick box in the hopes that if they were in a box marked "live birds" they would be handled better.  I candled them all before setting them and not a single scrambled air cell.  I have a good feeling about these eggs.

I am having an extremely busy summer with work, kids, family, garden, animals and don't seem to have much time for the computer lately.  I cannot believe I just wrote that.  lol   

So if no one hears from me don't worry, I am still alive.   

My awesome chicks from John Blehm are growing fast...hopefully I will have andalusian chicks in 3 weeks.   My schedule should waaay slow down in August.

Talk to ya all later!