Author Topic: Grooming tips?  (Read 5376 times)

OldChurchEggery

Grooming tips?
« on: June 08, 2012, 02:06:57 PM »
I am planning to show for the first time this fall at the VPBA show and I would like to take a pair of the silver chicks I hatched this spring. I've washed my other birds before, but never an Ameraucana. Do any of you have good advice for how to wash the muffs and beards to keep lather out of their eyes? I have a deep utility sink with a sprayer and that's what I've used on my other chickens. Also, any particular product work better than another to clean muffs and beards without leaving residue that would make them look less fluffy?

Thanks! I am really looking forward to this. I have never seen any silvers shown before. I've only been going for the last three years since I moved back to central Virginia, so maybe there have been some in years past. Should be fun!

Mike Gilbert

Re: Grooming tips?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 05:08:14 PM »
We once held an Ameraucana National Meet when they had a show at Galax, Virginia.  Paul came all the way from Texas, and they had lost or not received his entry, so he had to show them in his carrying cages.   It was a very memorable event.  We had a big party and overnight at the Eutslers place in a mountain valley, complete with Bluegrass band and a huge pot of chili and other good stuff to eat and drink.

With muffs and beards, just run a  soapy toothbrush or similar brush through them a few times, downward against the throat.  They will fluff up when they dry.   As with the other feathers, be sure to rinse them thoroughly to get all the soap out.

Tailfeathers

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 11:10:17 PM »
I have the WBS variety and here's what I do.

I fill both sides of the kitchen sink with fairly hot water.  The warmer the better as I find the birds tend to relax more that way.  And ladies, I know - I know!  I can already see you rolling your eyes.   ::)  Ugh, the kitchen sink???!!!  Hey, a guy has to do what a guy has to do.

I also fill up the bath tub too.  On the right side of the sink I squirt some Dawn Dishwashing liquid in it.  The left side is just plain rinse water and so is the tub.

Now, here's the main thing I wanted to recommend.  Mostly I use Tresomme Shampoo or Suave or some other really cheap shampoo and lather up the birds quite well.  BUT after coming home from a show with a case of mites on some birds, I have resorted to also using Zodiac flea & tick shampoo as well.  It's the same amount of Permethrin as Adams but cheaper.  I particular wash the backend fluff area well with the Zodiac and let it sit on the birds for awhile.  Then I also take a Permethrin solution I make up and put in a spray bottle and give the birds a few squirts on the behind when I put them in the show cage and again when I put them back in their pens at home.

I take a soapy toothbrush, as Mike said, to their beards and muffs - and toes and feet if needed.  Then I dunk them a few times in the water on the left side and then carry them to the tub where I dunk them a few more times and leave them to sit and soak their feet until I can pull them out and towel them off. 

Lastly, depending on when I get all this done, I either partially or fully blow dry them or I put them in a pet carrier until I unload them at the show.

I should say that's probably more elaborate than many if not most.  I know several folks who just have a few five gallon buckets.  One with soapy water and one or two with clean rinse water.  All they do is dunk the birds a few times in each and call it done.

Hope that helps.

God Bless,
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 11:13:19 PM by Tailfeathers »

dak

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 04:28:42 PM »
You can also get a product called "PINK" in the ethnic hair care section of Wal-mart or at Sally's, to lightly spray them with when you coop-in to restore some of the oils/sheen to their feathers.

I use some Frontline spray prior to coop-in for mites.

Beth C

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 11:56:30 AM »
I fill both sides of the kitchen sink with fairly hot water.  The warmer the better as I find the birds tend to relax more that way.  And ladies, I know - I know!  I can already see you rolling your eyes.   ::)  Ugh, the kitchen sink???!!!  Hey, a guy has to do what a guy has to do.

Lol, you're right, it's not going in my kitchen sink, but I have a deep sink in my garage. ;)

Clare: I've seen Pink for sale at shows, along with Show Sheen & other coat polishes. Pink is just an oil, but Show Sheen is silicon, and I've always wondered where the line is for faking - are polishes allowed as long as they don't alter the color? I know VetRX is pretty standard, and that's an oil.

Zach_Rose

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 07:07:48 PM »
I use Pink instead of show sheen because it is a thinner spray. It doesn't soak the bird. Show sheen was like a mist, where as pink is more of a fog. I also use VetRX for the face and legs. I would not consider it faking and I have even seen judges use both products.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 08:15:43 PM »
VetRx has a strong odor, and when I smell it from the aisle I'm thinking "sick birds."  Won't use it, at least not at a show.

OldChurchEggery

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 01:12:09 PM »
Thanks for the advice, everyone! Mineral oil is safe to use on beaks, legs, combs, etc., right? That VetRX stuff does have a strong liniment smell.

far149

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 10:07:48 AM »
I've used a mixture of olive oil, glycerin and witch hazel as a dressing for combs and the legs. There is no odor and drys quickly. However I have found it a little difficult to apply and work into peacombs. Recently, a member from another breed club told me he uses Neosporin-type products on combs and wattles. He says it is easy to apply and work in, shines nicely and the anti-bacterial properties are a bonus.
Aaron
Rhoton Hill Farms

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 11:35:36 AM »
Anything that looks greasy or remains sticky isn't very good.  I use a simple mixture of olive oil and denatured alcohol (for drying) applied with a soft toothbrush.  It's kept in an empty shampoo bottle so it can be mixed up by shaking.   I use it on the combs, legs, and toes, wiping off the excess with a soft shop towel.  I wipe off any dust or shavings on the back or tail with the towel afterward.  You have to be careful not to get any in the muffs or beard because it will tend to mat it down.  It works great.   

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 02:43:42 PM »
I've used a mixture of olive oil, glycerin and witch hazel as a dressing for combs and the legs. There is no odor and drys quickly. However I have found it a little difficult to apply and work into peacombs. Recently, a member from another breed club told me he uses Neosporin-type products on combs and wattles. He says it is easy to apply and work in, shines nicely and the anti-bacterial properties are a bonus.

May I ask what the ratio is on your mixture?
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...