Author Topic: 4-H fitting and showmanship ???  (Read 6995 times)

Russ

4-H fitting and showmanship ???
« on: June 08, 2012, 10:52:47 PM »
Hello everyone, I have a quick question concerning showmanship for youth in 4-H. This year I have become poultry leader for the local 4-H club my children are involved in. This is only there second year (with my daughter still being a clover bud) and I remember last year during showmanship the Judge was asking if anyone had a stick (for posing the bird). I have been searching for a place to purchase one of these sticks but have not found any. Does anyone know where I could order one of these at. I would really like to be able to demonstrate and show the youth the proper way to show according to the 4-H poultry fitting and showmanship guide. Also any other advise would be greatly appreciated I am new to this, and really want to give them the best opportunity to shine plus HAVE FUN  :D. Thanks for any input, Russ

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Jean

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: 4-H fitting and showmanship ???
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 01:54:04 PM »
Russ, often times you can find telescoping pointers at Walmart for a few bucks.  They are nothing fancy, but if you are buying for a group of kids they would be a cost effective option.   I like to have a few around anyway.  At least when I need one I am more apt to find at least one of them.   
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Russ

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 09:56:24 PM »
Thanks Jean and Don, Judging sticks duh. I guess it is easier to find something if you know what to call it. Seemed the only thing I was finding was a stick for catching chickens  ::) at least I had enough common sense to know that was NOT what I was looking for  ;D and to bring my question here  ;)

Russ

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 01:38:59 PM »
Well the fair is over and chickens are back home. One of the boys in our club took second place in junior showmanship whew who. Was another learning experience that's for sure. Found out some judges literally don't like the term lavender bantam, as soon as my son told him that (during fancy judging) he put the bird down. Then proceeded to give him a 10minute lecture on the correct term is self blue and that lavender will never be accepted blah blah blah  . Which wouldn't of bothered me until it was time for His L.F. Black, and the judge grilled him with a bunch more question's. Especially when my son got a little nervous he really started rifling him (at least in my eyes) and had the nerve to tell him he was picking on him  >:(. Good thing I guess is he told him he had 1 of the nicest looking birds he saw that day. Makes me wonder if he did not place because he called his bantam a "lavender"???? Oh well I guess that is how the cards fall some times, there is always next year  ;). Oh yeah and he made out like a Bandit on his meat pen of fryers $350, you want to see a 13 year old look like a opossum, lol he was grinning from ear to ear. 

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 07:44:24 PM »
Too bad your child had to deal with that anal retentive judge.  Until they are officially recognized at least, we will call them anything we collectively choose.    We could rattle off a long list of color varieties that are named one thing in one breed and something else in another breed.

John

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 08:08:34 PM »
proceeded to give him a 10minute lecture on the correct term is self blue and that lavender will never be accepted blah blah blah 

Sounds like one of those Buckeye judges I know. ;D  They love to try to intimidate youngsters.  Too bad...so sad.  The judge doesn't know what he is talking about and Mike is right that we can use the variety name we choose to since they are not recognized under any name. 
I hope your boy doesn't take one man's opinion to heart.  Continue to encourage all the kids in your club.  Just getting them prepared to deal with an adult, one-on-one, may be the first thing they should learn about showmanship.

Russ

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 12:51:57 PM »
You know the judge was from Ohio??? I won't mention his name I will be the better person than that. Good thing my son is part duck it just "Rolled of his back"  :) (funny how a big check changes there mood lol). Like I said definitely a learning experience now we just have to get ready for Fowl Fest. Practice makes perfect right????   
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 12:59:05 PM by Russ »

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 08:13:19 PM »
I hope that Buckeye judge isn't one of the ones judging at our Ohio fair here in Medina County this Thursday. My son is showing a pullet and a cockerel  :-\
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 01:33:20 PM »
It's not the same person, I checked.
Jean

John

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 04:12:06 PM »
It's not the same person, I checked.
There are two Buckeye APA judges that are of the same the same anti-lavender opinion that I am aware of.  Both can be very vocal about their not so humble opinions with anyone they think they can intimidate, IMHO ;D.