Author Topic: Plumage question  (Read 3650 times)

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
Plumage question
« on: July 14, 2012, 02:50:53 PM »
Can someone tell me, how long does it take before you can tell if your blue cockeral is going to be a cull on his color/pattern?  I have to reduce my flock and these cockerals are 13 to 15 wks old now and I'm just unsure whether this guy here is just a bad blue or the dark coloring hasn't had time to develop fully yet?  He is from a splash/ blue cross.  My memory is just not serving me well right now.  I can't remember how last year's blues developed.  :P

Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

Mike Gilbert

Re: Plumage question
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 04:10:25 PM »
He looks like a very dark splash to me.   You don't normally see those large dark patches in a blue.  The wing secondaries are the giveaway to me;  they are almost white.  Or maybe he is in that in-between-stage where he is transitioning from henny feathering to male feathering.  I lean toward splash though.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 04:15:28 PM by Mike Gilbert »

Cats Cradle

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 05:40:08 PM »
I am so glad this was posted!  If I had that bird turn up in my flock someday I'm pretty sure I would have just assumed he is a blue.  But Mike's explanation makes perfect sense!

I learn something new here everyday... Well at least everyday y'all post something!  ;)

Now a question! What would cause a splash to be so dark.  Obviously something is going on genetically.  Does anyone know what?

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 05:44:21 PM »
It did briefly cross my mind whether he may be a splash, but I don't see white on him, only shades of blue.  The picture doesn't show the color well.  The front shot of him shows what looks like some lacing.  That wouldn't happen on a splash would it?   
Sharon

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 06:06:38 PM »
Well, looking back on my notes I see that I had initially listed him as splash, then changed to blue, so I wasn't even sure back when he was a chick!  He was from a splash cock and blue hen cross.  She is not excessively dark, so I don't know.  This is the first year that I can remember that I have received cockerals from that cock cross.  Looks like he will be a reject.  Thanks Mike.
Sharon