Author Topic: Feed Prices???  (Read 10336 times)

Russ

Feed Prices???
« on: July 29, 2012, 01:59:34 PM »
I was just wondering if any body has seen feed prices going up yet? Was just talking to a friend (farmer) he suggested I stock up on feed before fall. Due to extreme weather and dry condition's crop's around here are hit and miss (more miss). Sound's like it is pretty bad all the way through Nebraska. Also how long will the feed be good for if I was to buy a bunch??? I know there are variables like keeping it dry and pest out but I was wondering more about how long before nutritional value starts dropping? It would be a custom milled 20% layer blend from local co-op. Seems like I read something somewhere just can not seem to find it now of course  ::), thanks and eager to hear what anybody else has heard?

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Feed Prices???
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 02:20:55 PM »
My local Coop raised the price on Purena Flock Raiser $1.00 a bag this week. It was 16.99 for 50#. Yes the corn crop is going fast in Nebraska. Around the Omaha/Lincoln area, Half of the unirrigated fields are gone. Soybeans still are hanging on but the next 10 days to 2 weeks will be critical. We live 1/2 way between Omaha and Lincoln. It has been over 5 weeks since a measurable rain with temps about 104-105  for the last 10 days. We got a break yesterday with it only about 90 and a 40%  chance of rain (but no rain came). Looks like with the feed prices heading the way they are going, I'll have to cull more birds or quit trapping the racoons.
Gordon Gilliam

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 03:39:51 PM »
I got 24 bags of feed on Friday and it looks like it went up about .70 cents.  I am paying wholesale........
Jean

John

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 08:27:35 PM »
I have a bunch of grower pellets yet, but I ordered 1 and 1/2 tons of Game Bird Breeder this week to try to beat the expected higher prices.  Three of us order 3 or more tons at a time to get it delivered at discount prices.  The nutritional value may go down a bit, but I'm hoping this will get me well into winter.
I'm also saving on the processed feed by supplementing with wheat, cracked corn, a little soybean meal, grass clippings, weeds, etc. 
The quoted price on the Breeder pellets was $565/ton or $14.13/bag.  Last winter I think it was about $13.50/bag and I'm sure it will continue to go higher.

7/30/12 UPDATE...$14.13/bag was $4.13/bag...typo corrected. ;)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 09:40:23 AM by John »

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 10:11:41 PM »
That would be $14.13 a bag.  I make my own share of typos.  But would I love to find some at $4.13 a bag!
The last time I bought 20% chick starter/grower, it was $12.50 a bag from my Amish farmer/dealer.  There is little doubt that will be going up.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 10:15:54 PM by Mike Gilbert »

Beth C

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 09:14:40 AM »
would I love to find some at $4.13 a bag! The last time I bought 20% chick starter/grower, it was $12.50 a bag from my Amish farmer/dealer.

I'd settle for $12.50! I don't think I've ever paid less than $14 for 20% and can't remember the last time I've seen it for under $15.50 a bag! Fingers crossed, we are one of the few areas not in drought this year (after several years in a row of severe drought), and local farmers are holding their breath - barring any hurricanes this could be a mortgage-lifting year. Not sure how much our locally milled feed will go up, since the demand is high, but I have a neighbor selling "deer corn." Thought about getting some to supplement feed through the winter but in the past the chickens haven't seemed able/willing to eat whole kernels (leftovers from parrots), and I worry if they'd cause impaction if they ate a lot. Any suggestions for making use of this cheap corn?

jerryse

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 09:30:55 AM »
I buy corn at the local grain elevator by the pickup truck.About 1000 pounds at a time.I have a small hammermill that I use to crack it or grind it .Kind of a pain but cheaper and they will eat it.I used a small grain wagon for years and would fill it once a year after harvest time.Higher prices for corn and I stopped buying by the wagon load.

John

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 09:49:01 AM »
Sorry about the $4.13 typo, but Mike did the math. ;)
Any suggestions for making use of this cheap corn?
The last couple years I've feed cracked corn in the summer and fall to the older growing birds, but I used whole shelled corn for years also without any problems and this went to both bantams and LF.  Of course I also offer grit free choice when I feed grains. 

Beth C

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 10:04:19 AM »
I used whole shelled corn for years also without any problems and this went to both bantams and LF.  Of course I also offer grit free choice when I feed grains

That's good to know. I can try a little and if they refuse it I'm not out much just don't want to kill them!

Jerry: Wish I had one! They start around $400 new, I'd settle for a hand one if I could find a used one at a decent price.

Russ

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 05:37:52 PM »
Just got back from co-op, looks like a $438 hit for a 1000 lbs of custom milled 20% layer blend. Ouch 21.90 for 50lb, waiting for the big boss to call and confirm the lady figured it right. Almost $6 more a bag than last 1000lbs looks like I might have to figure something else out? Hopefully she just figured it wrong  :o. Well on the brighter side at least I don't have anything that eat's hay, that is going for $12 a bale around here and everybody is buying it up because of the shortage. Looks like my criteria for next years breeders might get a little more critical.

far149

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 07:46:33 PM »
At our local Producers Co-Op 20% Starter/Grower has gone from $11.05 from the start of the year to $12.15 last week. At least it has animal protein in it.
Aaron
Rhoton Hill Farms

Russ

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 05:14:18 PM »
Whew got a call today the lady I talked to was a little off on price. It will only be $293 for a 1000lb so $14.65 a bag. A $.40 increase is a whole lot better than nearly the $6.00 one I was quoted yesterday. This should get me  to first of October hopefully the price won't rise too much by then. I was looking at my grow out pens yesterday thinking of who to "ax" (figuratively speaking). Most need another month or two of growing before I can make my final cut, I will sleep a little easier tonight though.

bantamhill

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 11:02:02 AM »
Round bales of nothing special hay are running $95.00 a bale here in Central Missouri. I need to so some stocking up on feed before everything gets crazy.

If you haven't planted summer squash, pumpkins, winter squash, cabbage, etc. there is still time. They all make good winter feed.

Michael

John

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 01:16:50 PM »
I just got off the phone with my brother and he is buying sunflower seed screenings from a local mill, near his place, very cheap. 
When I was a kid the mill over in Frankenmuth gave away bags of wheat screenings and we fed them to the chickens and other animals, until the mill got smart and added them to their laying mash.

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 11:07:02 AM »
So how long do you store feed and still plan on it holding its food value?
Sounds like it would be a good time to stock up.  But here our heat and humidity is hard on feed.  It will mold quickly if not careful. 

Michael, I've fed pumpkins in the fall, usually as a treat.  You can often buy them cheaply after Nov 1.  Often they will ignore them unless there are used to a variety of food scrapes during the year.  But you must have to supplement it with high protein food to balance their ration?

We can buy ground roasted soybeans that are close to 30% protein, but the literature cautions against using too much at a time.  I understand that they are dangerous to poultry unless they are roasted.  Anyone have experience using this as a supplement?
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9