Author Topic: To be or not to be NPIP (Shipping info)  (Read 15197 times)

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
To be or not to be NPIP (Shipping info)
« on: September 10, 2012, 12:19:30 PM »
I am seriously debating on whether or not to renew my certification this year. I want to be able to ship chicks and was under the understanding that you had to be NPIP certified to do that. After talking with a breeder who says he's been shipping chicks and hatching eggs for years without NPIP and has never had a problem, I decided to research this. I first called 800-ask-usps...who then referred me to call my "local mailing requirements"...who then spoke with "transportation." This is what I was finally was able to come up with. Someone please correct me if they know of (or have heard) something different.

I was sent to this weblink: http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/601.htm#1064884 and advised to click on the 9.0 which is perishables - then told to scroll down to 9.3.2 Day-Old Poultry (pasted below) which explains the requirements to ship baby chicks.

(To summarize what I THINK I have learned - as long as the baby chicks haven't been vaccinated with New Castles, they are packaged in proper and secured mailing boxes, mailed within 24 hours of hatching and due to arrive at their destination by the time they are 72 hours old - I'm not seeing where NPIP is a requirement...nor do they need any kind of health paper. There are specific things stated below that need to be followed, but I don't see anything about NPIP.)     

9.3.2 Day-Old Poultry

Day-old poultry vaccinated with Newcastle disease (live virus) is nonmailable. Live day-old chickens, ducks, emus, geese, guinea fowl, partridges, pheasants (pheasants may be mailed only from April through August), quail, and turkeys are acceptable in the mail only if:

a. They are not more than 24 hours old and are presented for mailing in the original unopened hatchery box from the hatchery of origin.

b. The date and hour of hatching is noted on the box by a representative of the hatchery who has personal knowledge thereof. (For COD shipments made by a hatchery for the account of others, the name or initials and address of the hatchery or the Post Office box number and address of the hatchery must be prominently shown for this standard.)

c. The box is properly ventilated, of proper construction and strength to bear safe transmission in the mail, and not stacked more than 10 units high.

d. They are mailed early enough in the week to avoid receipt at the office of address, in case of missed connections, on a Sunday, on a national holiday, or on the afternoon before a Sunday or holiday.

e. They can be delivered to the addressee within 72 hours of the time of hatching, whether the addressee resides in town or on a rural route or highway contract route.

f. The shipment bears special handling postage in addition to regular postage, unless sent at the First-Class Mail or Priority Mail prices.

g. When live, day-old poultry is to be transported by aircraft, all provisions of the airline tariffs are met and air carriers have equipment available to safely deliver shipments within the specified time limits, allowing for delays en route in air and ground transportation.

h. Day-old poultry, originally shipped by air express or air cargo and then presented for mailing, must be in good condition and prepared as specified in 9.3.2a. through 9.3.2e.

i. Boxes of day-old poultry of about identical size, securely fastened together to prevent separation in transit, may be accepted for mailing as a single parcel, if such parcel is not more than 100 inches in length and girth combined.
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

John

Re: To be or not to be NPIP (Shipping info)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 02:41:20 PM »
Sharon,

Go back and check out the topic from awhile ago...
http://ameraucana.org/forum/index.php?topic=1783.msg12282#msg12282
I try to avoid politics and religion on this forum, unless it pertains to our chickens or club.  With some subjects like this I generally feel the less said...the better.  Big Brother is watching. ;)
More and more the federal government is choosing to turn their heads when laws they don't like are broken.  With more and more executive orders they are making rules (thier own laws) as they please.
If that is good enough for the federal government, I think it should be good enough for me.  IMO, just ignore any rules, regulations or laws that you don't agree with.

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 04:37:17 PM »
Sharon,

The USPS does not as a habit regulate individual State Laws.  They have regulations on shipping live birds, but that is it.

If the State finds out that you have shipped birds in illegally they can prosecute you and/or the receiver....never heard of it done though.
Jean

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 05:04:58 PM »
I am just trying to find out "where" it says you have to be NPIP to ship chicks. Where do I find that written law/rule? I'll check out John's link to see if it's in there somewhere.

I know the NPIP people say you have to and set up their own rules, but where is the law written elsewhere that you have to be NPIP?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 05:08:11 PM by Sharon Yorks »
Sharon Yorks

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 05:19:05 PM »
Okay, poop! I found this in John's link that reads:

State regulations for import of poultry and hatching eggs.
(All information subject to change. Contact each state department of Agriculture for up-to-date information)

So I'm assuming that it's written in each state's Department of Agriculture's laws or rule book. Again, poop! Back to the question I find myself asking, "To be or not to be..." At least I still have a few weeks to figure it out. Or I guess nothing is saying I can't wait until next year and just renew if I want to. That's probably what I will do. See what happens after the upcoming election. You never know what may soon happen  :-\

Ohio

901:1-15-02
(A) Chickens. No person shall buy, sell, transport within or import into Ohio chickens, except for
immediate slaughter, or chicken hatching eggs, unless the flock or hatchery of origin is a
participant in the National Poultry Improvement Plans for the eradication of disease or is
following a program officially approved by the Ohio Department of Agriculture.

Sharon Yorks

John

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 05:34:03 PM »
So I'm assuming that it's written in each state's Department of Agriculture's laws or rule book.
Each state has their own rules.
Every year or so I receive, in the mail, a large NPIP booklet.  It lists all the participants in the country, all the breed and variety codes, the requirements for each state, etc.

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 08:17:36 PM »
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/animals/animal_import/animal_imports_states.shtml

There are links at the bottom of this page to each State's importations requirements.
Jean

John

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 09:42:20 AM »
test

OldChurchEggery

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 09:25:57 AM »
John- neat picture. That bird looks like it's the color of a peach!

About shipping live poultry- you won't be able to market to anyone in Virginia if you aren't NPIP. Our state entry requirements are such that a seller must be NPIP in order for you to have live birds shipped to you. There are even requirements for shipped eggs, but those are not enforced in my experience. As someone who lives in Virginia, it's nice when sellers are NPIP because it means I can by from them even though I am not NPIP myself. It's such a bummer to see on someone's website- "Lower 48 states except Virginia." Our poultry association has a hard time drawing people from out of state to our shows because of how tight the biosecurity regulations are. There is a barrage of tests for folks just over the state line in Maryland, NC, West VA, TN, etc just to participate, so a lot of them don't.

It's up to you, though. I'm having a hard time getting my dream of having Silvers off of the ground. I've never seen any silvers exhibited at any Virginia shows, so being able to buy from folks out of state is what it comes down to for me. I just have my one silver pullet which as a result has become very tame. She even lets my 17 month old daughter "pet" her. If I want to find someone who will ship me a mate for her, it will have to be someone who is NPIP or I'll have to try to hatch her a beau from eggs, which means it'll be a long while before I have silver chicks of my own.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 02:09:11 PM »
Did you know John Blehm is NPIP and sells chicks in Silver, both large and bantam??  I doubt you will find any much better.

mustangsaguaro

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 09:14:29 PM »
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/animals/animal_import/animal_imports_states.shtml

There are links at the bottom of this page to each State's importations requirements.

Very interesting link. I went and read about 10 states worth for just hatching eggs as I do ship hatching eggs. Won't ship live birds. And of the states I did read most of them did say that even hatching eggs must come from NPIP certified flocks.

Now, my next question is how many states actually enforce this for hatching eggs? I am sure there are ways of getting around this. I have been contemplating about getting NPIP certified and am still on the fence about it. I know there are major advantages for it, but in the same respect there are disadvantages as well.

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 09:51:48 AM »
Sharon,

The USPS does not as a habit regulate individual State Laws.  They have regulations on shipping live birds, but that is it.

If the State finds out that you have shipped birds in illegally they can prosecute you and/or the receiver....never heard of it done though.
Jean

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 01:34:05 PM »
Yes ocifer, I got them birds/eggs from some guy sell'n em down at TSC, He said he was certfied an i think he was driv'n an old blue truck. 
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Russ

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 03:06:41 PM »
Yes ocifer, I got them birds/eggs from some guy sell'n em down at TSC, He said he was certfied an i think he was driv'n an old blue truck.

That's funny  ;) good one Don, I do know a guy around my parts that shipped over 600 ducklings and goslings this year to 12 different states that is "not". I also do not know if there are different regulations concerning waterfowl. I thought he was and found this out when I asked him how I go about getting certified. He simply suggested don't ask and don't tell. I am also on the fence about this, I really hate the thought of Big Brother regulating what I do or don't do. I guess I will keep praying on it and hope to hear the answer.

John

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 09:48:25 PM »
don't ask and don't tell
It was good enough for the federal government, so it should be good enough for me. ;D
Yes, there are different rules for waterfowl (usually).