Author Topic: Hatchery claiming to sell True Ameraucanas?  (Read 8707 times)

CindyM

Hatchery claiming to sell True Ameraucanas?
« on: October 23, 2012, 03:40:18 PM »
Just read a blog post that Meyer Hatchery will be selling True Ameraucanas in Blue and Wheaten for 2013

here is the link to the blog post from Meyer Hatchery
http://blog.meyerhatchery.com/?p=517

thoughts, input, anyone?

Does this mean all of us will have to try even harder to educate people or will the hatchery have good qality birds...hmmmm interesting

Mike Gilbert

Re: Hatchery claiming to sell True Ameraucanas?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 04:28:52 PM »
I read the link.   An improvement, but still not 100% correct.   Easter eggers have been around longer than both recognized breeds.  Araucanas (tufted & rumpless) were created in the early 20th century by a Chilean doctor from at least two different kinds of easter eggers;  the record is sketchy at best.   No where does the record say that he bred for specific, true breeding colors.     And where does it say in the Standard that Ameraucanas are to have "long, flowing tailfeathers?"   They are to be medium in length, not long.   I believe Meyer is taking a step in the right direction, but the best birds will be found with true breeders.   Meeting typical hatchery demand means proper culling will likely not be accomplished.  I hope I'm proven wrong.
Do you know the best definition of an pessimist?  "A pessimist is an optimist with more experience."
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 04:32:09 PM by Mike Gilbert »

CindyM

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 04:35:33 PM »
that " long flowing tail feathers" made me chuckle as well. I just hate the thoughts of mass production of something that we all know will probably be mediocre at best and new breeders actually use that as breeding stock. But I guess I give it to Meyer for trying to be in the mainstream as far as demand

John

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 05:39:57 PM »
http://blog.meyerhatchery.com/?p=517
but we’re proud be the only hatchery offering true Amerauacanas (despite what others advertise)
That's what they say, but my little hatchery has been offering them for over two decades and I've even developed and/or co-developed some varieties over the past 30 years. :P
I'm glad they got the spelling right (except for the typo(?) above) and hope they strive to follow the Standard.

HappyMtn

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 10:33:48 AM »
My Pet Chicken is advertising them as well. They do use Meyer as a supplier sometimes. $20 per chick. I sell mine for $6, when I have them. 

heatherscooby77

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 11:43:50 PM »
I would believe it when I see it..............Just like any other hatchery bird (except egg or meat hybrids) they are usually sub par at best. 

Tailfeathers

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 01:41:33 AM »
Meeting typical hatchery demand means proper culling will likely not be accomplished.

I agree wholeheartedly.  This is what I tell folks.  You have to understand the goals of the hatchery and the goals of the breeder.  What is a hatchery's goal?  Simply put, to make as much money in a fairly short period of time as they can.  So by definition they simply cannot be focused on QA & QC. 

Most of us who breed for show know that we aren't in it for the money.  If it made us money it would be a "business" and most of us have a "hobby". 

Another thing to keep in mind is that unless Meyer, or any other hatchery, actually has birds on their premises and they are actively involved in putting the breeding birds together, then they won't know for sure what they are getting.  In other words, if they are buying eggs from someone who is supposedly selling them Wheaten Ameraucanas, they have NO way of knowing for sure what they are getting - or what they would be selling. 

So, not only is it possible that the quality of the birds could be poor but it is also possible that one could wind up with something that isn't even an Ameraucana.  If you don't think this happens far too often, just read some of the poultry sites and get a glimpse of the number of folks who order eggs and wind up with something totally different. 

I could send you a few emails from folks who've sent me pictures and said, "What's this?  It was supposed to be..."

God Bless,

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 01:21:06 AM »
Yeah, true ameraucanas.   ::)

Here is what they have pictured as a cock bird:

Jean

bantamhill

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 09:38:27 AM »
Looks the result of a project focused on creating blue large fowl Araucana.

Michael
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 12:10:56 PM by bantamhill »

John

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 09:47:44 AM »
http://www.meyerhatchery.com/productinfo.a5w?category=Chickens&grd_prodone_filter=PRODUCT%5fID%20%3d%20%27BAMS%27
The breeds most striking feature is the green and blue tinted legs.

Gotta love those legs! ;)

update 12/2/12...
Seriously, the shanks on the male they show carry yellow.  You can see it in his beak also.  He is a mutt for sure and maybe an Easter Egger (if he carries the gene for blue eggs).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 12:30:54 PM by John »

dak

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 09:05:21 PM »
What about the beautiful beard/muffs?  ::)

KalJen Farm

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 09:26:16 AM »
Hum.....Funny thing about the comment they made about being the only hatchery selling true ameraucanas. Is because there will be yet another hatchery selling true ameraucanas. I spent my show season trying to find other show quality breeds and am getting ready to try and start up a local hatchery. Im going to try and keep it to local 4hers this year, but...who knows...At any rate, i wold be curious to see what the reviews are like on there. If they really are ameraucas true and true.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 11:03:10 AM »
It's pretty clear from their comments about the leg color and the photo of a breeder male lacking any muffs and beard that they have a lot to learn.   Right now about the only reliable source of real Ameraucanas are our club members and Duane Urch, and Duane's silvers leave much to be desired.  But he does sell black large fowl and wheaten bantams that are pretty fair.

John

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 07:15:34 PM »
Duane
I believe he is still a member.

start up a local hatchery
I've still got the domain name "ChickHatchery.com" for sale...several inquiries, but no reasonable offers. 

faith valley

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 05:22:28 PM »
I actually just started working for Meyer Hatchery in the Customer Service department.  I will chat with them next week to see if I can get a bit of info about the Large Fowl Blue Ameraucana line. I will touch base back after I have had a chance to inquire if this male is actually in the breeding program or not.

~Patty