Author Topic: South Central District Meet and Arkansas State Meet  (Read 3134 times)

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
South Central District Meet and Arkansas State Meet
« on: November 28, 2012, 08:43:00 AM »
  The SC District meet and Arkansas State meet were completed November 3, 2012 at the Heart of the Ozarks poultry show.  This was a very good, well run show, held in a nice facilities at the Fayetteville, Arkansas fair grounds.

Sharon Caywood of Fayetteville, ARK. had the top Ameraucanas in the LF open show.  Sharon’s black pullet took top honors in both judgings.  It may have given the judges a head ache, if Clifton Redden had his RB black pullet at last week’s national meet here.  This was Sharon’s first show!  It is great to see new ABC members start showing and join in the fun!  Congratulations Sharon!  Sharon’s black pullet also won best AOSB.  Sharon’s black cockerel was selected RV, RB and res. AOSB.  Sharon also had a very nice blue cockerel which won BV blue.  Angela and I had RV blue also on a cockerel.  Matthew Smith had BV blue wheaten on a cockerel and RV on a pullet.  Matthew also had BV wheaten on a cockerel and RV on a pullet.  Matthew had BV Lavender on a cockerel and Angela and I had RV on a lavender pullet.  The first judging, our SC district meet was judged by Sam Brush.

The second judging-the Arkansas state meet was judged by Steve Jones.  Sharon’s black pullet won BV black, BB (best of breed), best AOSB.  Sharon’s black cockerel won RV and RB.  Sharon’s blue cockerel won BV.  A blue pullet shown by Paul & Angela Smith won RV blue.  Matthew Smith had BV blue wheaten on a pullet and RV on the blue wheaten cockerel.  Matthew’s wheaten pullet was chosen BV and his wheaten cockerel was RV.  The BV lavender was a pullet shown by Paul & Angela.  Matthew’s cockerel was RV lavender.

The Jr. show was dominated by Colten Hardesty.  Colten purchased 3 Ameraucana chicks from Sharon Caywood.  All three were shown in the Jr. show.  Colten’s black cockerel won BV, BB, best AOSB, Champion LF and Res. Jr. over all.  Colten’s black pullet won RV, RB and res. AOSB.  Colten also had a blue pullet which won BV.  Congratulations to both, Colten for doing an outstanding job selecting and growing the chicks into champions, and to Sharon Caywood, for breeding them.  Lewis Hinkle judged the Jr. show.

Sorry this is so late!  I’ll try to be more prompt at the next shows.

Photos coming soon!

Paul Smith

Paul Smith

Mike Gilbert

Re: South Central District Meet and Arkansas State Meet
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 09:27:23 AM »
Thanks for the report Paul.    I was wondering if Sharon Caywood got her start in Ameraucanas from you by chance?   I know Arkansas is a hotbed for Araucanas.   Was Ann Charles showing hers?   Ann is the editor of the online poultry magazine, "Exhibition Poultry Magazine."   It's free and available to all on the internet.

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 10:36:18 AM »
Yes, we sold Sharon hatching eggs and 6 splash chicks, six years ago.  She has done an excellent job of breeding only from that start, without adding any other blood.  I tried to purchase her black cockerel, but he wasn't for sale.  Ann Charles didn't make it to the show.  I wrote an article a few months ago about GMO feeds for her online poultry magazine.
Paul Smith

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 12:14:48 PM »
I had a great time even though we had a mishap that day (husband involved in accident).  Yes, I got my start of eggs from Paul years ago. Thanks, Paul.  Wish you still shipped eggs!   After years of hatching and growing, mishaps, etc.,  I finally felt I had some show worthy birds and what luck, the show was in Fayetteville.  Can't say I enjoyed the preps involved in getting birds ready for show (blowing drying wet chickens takes forever!), but the results were worth it.  I may try it again one day. 
Thanks for all your tips and knowledge sharing and help Paul.  It was great meeting you and your family. 

Sharon
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 12:30:43 PM »
Maybe we can save you a little trouble with the show prep.   I just towel dry my birds, then place them in cages to dry overnight.    Make sure they are not chilled or in a drafty room unless it is fairly warm outside.  Ideally they would be washed two or three days before the show so they have time to not only dry completely, but also to preen a bit.  The cage needs to be large enough that the feathers are not pressed in an unnatural position while drying, otherwise the bird might end up with a perm that's not so good.  Congrats on breeding some winners!