Author Topic: Wheaten, Blue Wheaten, Splash Wheaten  (Read 5177 times)

SkiBuny

Wheaten, Blue Wheaten, Splash Wheaten
« on: December 02, 2012, 06:21:38 PM »
Hi, I have searched all over for output percentages based on breeding the different Wheatens; but am missing one piece of information. When breeding Wheaten to Wheaten, what percentage will be Wheaten, Blue Wheaten, and Splash Wheaten?

I just bred my Blue Wheatens for the first time, and believe I have a Blue Wheaten and Splash Wheaten :-).

Here is the information I have, and the one item missing has "???":

Blue Wheaten/Blue Wheaten: 50% Blue, 25% Wheaten, 25% Splash Wheaten

Splash Wheaten/Splash Wheaten: 100% Splash Wheaten

Wheaten/Wheaten: ???

Blue Wheaten/Splash Wheaten: 50% Splash Wheaten, 50% Blue Wheaten

Blue Wheaten/Wheaten: 50% Blue Wheaten, 50% Wheaten

Splash Wheaten/Wheaten: 100% Blue Wheaten

Thanks for your help!

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: Wheaten, Blue Wheaten, Splash Wheaten
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 06:38:52 PM »
Wheaten to Wheaten will result in 100% Wheaten.
Gordon Gilliam

John

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 06:39:38 PM »
When breeding Wheaten to Wheaten, what percentage will be Wheaten, Blue Wheaten, and Splash Wheaten?
Check out reply #16 on this topic...
http://ameraucana.org/forum/index.php?topic=1852.msg13232#msg13232

Schroeder

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 08:57:35 AM »
Somewhat on topic, I plan to put a BW over three Wheaten hens, each of which may have been mated by a Silver cock, and/or a White, a week or more ago.  I now have them separated but would prefer to not wait the three weeks until I can be sure of no unwanted crosses.

I know I can check the older eggs for fertility, but I doubt I'd be 100% accurate.  If I get the Silver or White genes by accident, will I necessarily be able to see this in the offspring or do I risk having them arise in future generations?

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 09:18:11 AM »
Duane, you will probably be able to tell the crosses by their chick down coloring.   The silver would cause some striping in the down, and the white could be carrying anything so hard to predict.  Most likely he carries extended black or birchen, so chicks would be black, or black with some tan or white around the heads - pseudo brown reds or birchens. 

John

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 10:28:11 AM »
I agree with Mike's analysis and would add that if the silver cock is doing his job and is fertile and you wait a day or two before collecting eggs to hatch...I believe you won't get any crosses.

SkiBuny

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 01:26:37 PM »
Thanks Gordon! I also have a feeling I already know that and feel a bit silly, hee hee. At least we now have a full chart! :-)