Author Topic: No more shipping for me  (Read 6574 times)

Beth C

No more shipping for me
« on: January 08, 2013, 11:37:45 AM »
Well, we've known for a year they were considering it, but now that it's official we didn't get much notice. It was announced yesterday that the processing hub at Kinston is closing, being "phased out over the next 6-8 weeks." Don't know what point of "phased out" they become inaccessible, but once they're gone the nearest place I can safely ship/receive a bird is over 3 hours away. But of course, they insist this won't slow down service. Not sure *who's* service it won't slow, but it sure puts a kink in mine! >:(

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Re: No more shipping for me
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 01:16:02 PM »
Sorry to hear that Beth.  So where will your closest mail hub be located and what do you think that means in terms of shipping time, going and coming for you?  Is it just live shipments that you think will be effected?
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Beth C

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 05:17:37 PM »
The nearest hub will be Fayetteville (3 hours). We have never had overnight service here, it's always been 2 day for express mail, and since last years changes it can be up to 3 days, but you could get around this by driving to the hub in Kinston (about 45 minutes). They claim it won't affect service, although I can't see how it won't add a day to most mail, but it pretty much knocks out shipping started birds... 

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 06:09:34 PM »
Do you have anyone that shows in your general area?   If so, other fanciers are often willing to deliver birds to customers or other connections at their destination.   On another forum we often see requests such as that, and often it works out.   Shipping can be a lot cheaper that way too.   For example, I took bantams for Bob Walchak to Sedalia last fall, and the purchaser picked them up there.   I also took birds to Sedalia for a lady in Texas, and Paul Smith was good enough to take them back to Texas.   In both cases the shipping cost was a lot less that it would have been using the USPS.

Beth C

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 09:04:15 PM »
Not to mention safer for the bird. I'll start asking around - there's bound to be someone.

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 02:09:37 PM »
I'm curious, does UPS ship birds?

The Post Office is killing itself.  They have no desire to stay profitable.  When they reduce their hours, it is always during a working persons hours.  When you open at 9 am, close two hours for lunch, then shut the doors at 4 pm, and shut down on Saturdays,  just who in the heck are you trying to serve?   ::)
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

vanalpaca

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 09:12:40 AM »
I agree, they have been talking about closing the Toledo, OH regional hub for a couple years now and Saturdays will be no service starting in August. Our mail will go down to Columbus which is 2.5-3 hours away.

So far the Toledo, OH hub is still open, but my checks to pay bills have been lost in Sept and Dec, really messing up everything. 12 bills sent out, 2 get shredded and never reach destination.......hate to see what would happen to eggs or chicks.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 10:41:41 AM »
I imagine everyone saw the notice that there will be no Saturday mail delivery starting in August.   If I do any shipping after that, it will always be on a Monday - just in case.

Beth C

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 11:13:42 AM »
Raise prices & cut service, now there's a successful business model... ::)

This really puts me in a bind. I could probably have a bird shipped to someone else who was willing to hold it for me until a show, but no one would want to wait that long for me to get one to them.

vanalpaca

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 11:49:23 AM »
So they are saving $2 Billion a year by cutting out Saturday delivery, then they aren't going to institute the change until August.....makes no sense at all!

bantamhill

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 11:13:01 AM »
I have been unable to ship live birds and chicks for many years unless I drove them to St. Louis or Kansas City. I only had one person ever take me up on the delivery surcharge (the gas and a little for my time). Ironically, I can receive live birds and chicks.

You might check with your local goat, sheep, and horse folks. I know that folks that show goats are always willing to take items along as they go to shows.

Michael

Beth C

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 12:30:33 PM »
Michael that is a wonderful idea!! Several of my goat buddies show, and I can think of 2 nearby who go to the nationals & other out of state shows. I also have a friend who shows AQHA, although she lives about an hour away. Tried to hit up my brother-in-law, who's a long haul trucker, but he looked at me a bit funny. ;D

OldChurchEggery

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 03:54:32 PM »
What a bummer about your Post Office woes. Our local newspaper has been talking about shifts in Virginia's sorting facilities and what impact it might have on services. I suppose I'm in the minority of people who feel less frustrated at the Post Office and more frustrated for them. They are forced to run their business at the whim of Congress and the Post Office has little control over its own affairs for that very reason. I think it's a situation similar to the way individual teachers shouldn't be denigrated for the implications No Child Left Behind has on education. 

Beth C

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 10:47:32 AM »
individual teachers shouldn't be denigrated for the implications No Child Left Behind has on education. 

Don't even get me started on that one!  ;)

I agree, not just the postal service, although they probably have it worse than many, but all American businesses these days are operating with one hand tied behind their collective backs. The media likes to compare the current "recession" with the last depression, but I see one major difference. In the 1930's if a guy was able to do something, and another guy was able to pay him something, they shook hands and he went to work. Now businesses have so many restrictions, regulations, and various and sundry hoops to jump through that an employee is a liability. And just when we thought it couldn't get any worse, along comes health care reform. By the time he complies with everything the government demands of him, he has to charge twice what his Chinese competitor does, but if he outsources to stay afloat, then shame on him. Not sure how long we can survive this way...