Author Topic: Pipping on the top  (Read 5994 times)

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
Pipping on the top
« on: February 08, 2013, 12:14:33 PM »
I just noticed one of my eggs have pipped at the end of the egg. It's at the large end, but right on the top. I don't see how it will be able to zipper the end off to get out. Has anyone else seen this happen and can they still get out?
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Pipping on the top
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 06:55:34 PM »
The chick finally made it out on its own...without any help. Whew!
Sharon Yorks

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 06:49:58 AM »
I had an egg do this also this year. I had one that started almost at the small end of the egg to. It piped down low and then made a zipper towards the top before it started going across. Both eggs hatched fine though.

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 08:53:30 AM »
I have found that it is much better for me to stay outside or go to town during hatch days. I have two clear-top Hova-Bators that I hatch in and I find myself standing over them constantly to see who has made it out. Not much gets done around my house on hatch days, and that's not good since I've been hatching 2-4 hatches every month since January. It's amazing how some that I don't think are going to hatch or make it out, still seem to manage somehow. And I have one hen whose eggs always hatch late. It's a wonder I have any fingernails left.

I recently bought a Brinsea Ova-Easy 190 (Cool machine!) and my husband asks why I still take the eggs out the last 3 days and put them in the Styrofoam ones to hatch. I'm like, "But, but...I can't watch them hatch in the Brinsea." That, and I also have partitions in the Styrofoam ones to help keep breeding pens separated. 
Sharon Yorks

Beth C

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 10:27:29 AM »
I wonder if this is because the air-sac is in a weird place? I've candled some that, instead of being at the large end, it was set at an angle and sort of ran down one side.

I have found that it is much better for me to stay outside or go to town during hatch days.

I hear you! I need to plan to be somewhere else because if I'm any where near the incubator it's too much of a distraction to get anything done!

Schroeder

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 02:52:24 PM »
Sharon:  The first step to beating an addiction is to admit you are an addict.  ;)

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 03:45:33 PM »
I just set another 70 eggs this past Monday, so OKAY...I'm an addict! What's step two???
Sharon Yorks

Russ

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 09:45:37 AM »
"came to believe a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity" lol  ;D I couldn't resist been a long time it seems since I had time to get on the forum.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 12:32:53 PM »
Russ, are you having any luck hatching the blue bantams?

Tailfeathers

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 04:23:58 AM »
I had an odd thing during last Saturday's hatch.  A chick pipped at the small end.  It actually managed to get it's head almost all the way out but not quite.  So I did what I've told myself I'd never do again. I helped it out a bit.

So how did that happen?  Was the aircell at the bottom too?

God Bless,

Russ

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 10:03:07 PM »
Russ, are you having any luck hatching the blue bantams?

Sorry for the delayed answer Mike, Just got back from our family vacation/visiting in laws in Florida April 7th. So I held off on hatching anything until I got back. Hard enough to find someone willing to care of 80 head of grown chickens, 2 dogs and 3 salt water reef tanks. Let alone a bunch of chicks also for the 9 days we were gone. But I have two incubators filled now first  one is looking good with 12-14 of them being from your Blue Bantams. Just filled the second one this past Sunday so a little early to see how the development looks on them. But I will be hatching weekly until my wife shuts me down lol. Yes Sharon I am also an Addict I am on the 12th step "Having had a spiritual awakening........" lol sorry I am not trying to hi-jack your post  ;)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 10:04:51 PM by Russ »