Author Topic: Toe Punching  (Read 6229 times)

Schroeder

Toe Punching
« on: February 27, 2013, 09:28:30 AM »
Well, I guess I didn't do a very good job with my first attempt at toe punching.  At least 1/4 of those that I punched at 2 days show no evidence of same at three weeks.  I suspect I was not diligent enough in removing the chads from the new holes.

Am I correct that it now is too late, and I'll need to resort to bands of some sort?

dak

Re: Toe Punching
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 12:05:37 PM »
I usually go back a couple of days after I punch and pick out the scab and/or repunch them.  I haven't tried older birds, but I see no reason why you can't if you follow up on the holes and encourage them to stay open.  Possibly, use a small hemostat in the hole and stretch it.

Some just cut a slit in the web with scissors.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 02:53:41 PM »
  To avoid "hanging chads" I toe punch first from the top, then again from the bottom, being careful to hit the same hole on the second pass.  Then I inspect for hanging skin - usually it is gone - but if it is there I pull or cut it off.   It will often scab over temporarily, but when the scab falls out the hole is there.

Schroeder

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 03:32:40 PM »
Mike - What do you think about punching again at 3 weeks old?

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 04:57:26 PM »
  I've never done it, but if you do be careful of infection.  I would put them in a very clean spot until it scabs over.   Anybody else?

Beth C

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 05:14:19 PM »
I've toe punched chicks that were a few weeks old, but still in the brooder on clean shavings. I haven't had any problems, maybe I've just been lucky.

John

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 06:03:56 PM »
I've toe punched chicks that were a few weeks old, but still in the brooder
Same here.  Now days I use the toe puncher and cut the web.

dixieland

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 06:52:16 PM »
I've toe punched chicks that were a few weeks old, but still in the brooder
Same here.  Now days I use the toe puncher and cut the web.

So do you cut the web on the toe you punched? My toe puching endeavors have not  I been as successful as I would like... All of my birds from Paul have perfect toe punches... Putting rick rack around the chickens  necks doesnt  work a,s well as puppies...

John

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 07:13:01 PM »
So do you cut the web on the toe you punched?
Since the toes don't get "punched" that leaves two web area on each foot to work with.  Instead of the punching a hole in the web, as I did for years, I now do the punching more outboard...so there is notch or cut into the web area.

dixieland

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 07:55:29 PM »
Since the toes don't get "punched" that leaves two web area on each foot to work with.  Instead of the punching a hole in the web, as I did for years, I now do the punching more outboard...so there is notch or cut into the web area.
Ahhhh... That makes perfect sense.. Thanks for elaborating ;D

Tailfeathers

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 11:38:04 PM »
When I toe punch my chicks, I use my thumbnail to tear off the "hanging chad" as Mike so humorously put it.  This usually results in a pretty uniformly round hole and I don't think I've ever had to go back and re-punch again.

God Bless,

Beth C

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 08:50:30 PM »

Glad you suggested this because I did it on a couple by accident last year and it was so much easier to see, with no chance of it growing back, that I was debating doing it intentionally this year.