Author Topic: Splash Wheaten Cockerel advice please  (Read 3972 times)

Holiday Hatch

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Splash Wheaten Cockerel advice please
« on: March 25, 2013, 05:46:02 PM »
This is my first post.  Just getting started with Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas in Northern California.  Attached are pictures of a Splash Wheaten Cockerel I was hoping to keep.  I'm not sure he's a good choice and would appreciate some thoughts about him.  Thank you for your help.  Linda

Tailfeathers

Re: Splash Wheaten Cockerel advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 06:28:43 AM »
Hi Linda,

Welcome to the ABC and Forum!

I've currently got my second SW Cockerel.  Looks very similar to yours.  Unfortunately, I can't keep your pics open and reply at the same time.  I don't usually comment on Type from pics as they are only a snapshot in time and pics can distort the body shape as well.  I think that was the case with what I saw where he looked a bit taller and a little short in the back.

Color-wise, I remember he needs some color in his primaries and secondaries to form a better wing bay.  Legs look nice both in color and size.  Couldn't see the eyes.

Having said all that, I'm really not one to ask.  I'd LOVE to hear from some of the "old timers", or shall we say much more experienced!  Please, weigh in and let us know what we should be looking for in the SW cockerels.  If we're gonna try and get them recognized, we need some consensus on what they should look like.  Beuhler?  Beuhler?  Anybody?  Anybody?

Linda, thanks for the pics.  Now I hope to hear from the others!

God Bless,

Schroeder

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 09:21:28 AM »
Linda:
Welcome to the ABC!  I am unqualified to evaluate your SW beyond what Royce has said, but I do know a beautiful bird when I see it!
Duane

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 12:20:03 PM »
As Royce said, it is difficult to judge a bird from photos, so please take these comments with a grain of salt.
In the one profile shot where the bird is standing upright, he does not appear to have much of a chest or front on him.    I believe the Standard calls for a prominent, well rounded breast.   I don't like the looks of his comb, as it appears too high and thin.   I won't comment much on his color, as there is no Standard description for splash wheaten, but his red sections do look quite dark for the wheaten color.  Observe the wheaten color in O.E. Game bantam males at the shows - that is the color we strive for.     In setting up any mating you need to take into account the strong and weak points of both genders, not just one.   So whether or not this guy will be useful in a breeding program will depend on what you have to mate with him.
Don't be discouraged by any comments made here - you are the only one this bird has to please.  Good luck!

bantamhill

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 01:04:01 PM »
If memory serves, the Old English literature on the subject of the splash wheaten color  indicated that the male splash wheaten should ideally pass for a red pyle.

Michael

Holiday Hatch

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 02:35:27 PM »
The comments are very helpful and give me lots to think about.  Knowing how difficult it is to comment on a photo I appreciate your input, and kindness in your replys.  As Royce said one photo shows the neck to be too long.  He's stretched his neck upward in that photo, but the neck may be too long.  I agree with Mike, the comb is too high.  Even though there are three sets of points on the comb, they're too high in relation to what I think a pea comb should look like.  Thanks for the reminder to combine strong points from both parents.  The chest is not prominent and well rounded; and I don't know if that will change when he gets older.  The Splash Wheaten color is still confusing.  I've only seen photos of Red Pyle and Wheaten Old English Game Bantams.  However, this cockerels red color did remind me of a Red Pyle and I had to look Red Pyle up for comparison.  Thanks for all the comments and making me feel welcome in the group.  Linda

bantamhill

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 03:08:52 PM »
Linda:

Don't forget maturity rate and egg shell color when thinking about a male bird. Ameraucana are supposed to be dual purpose breed. While a male bird doesn't lay eggs, he does carry egg shell color genes. Keeping males that hatched from nicely colored egg shells will improve the egg shell color of your flock.

Michael