Author Topic: Sudden comb growth, 3y/o hen  (Read 11243 times)

dak

Sudden comb growth, 3y/o hen
« on: April 04, 2013, 12:42:47 PM »
This one is new to me.  I have a 3 year old Black Am hen who's comb has tripled in size this spring.  It is huge (and ugly).  She is not laying though her two hatch mates are laying well and have normal combs. 

I am wondering if this might indicate a hormone producing tumor.  I wanted a few more chicks from her as she is my favorite (of course), but if this indicates some pathology I can scrap that idea.

Has anyone seen this?  If so, what can I expect?

Clare

dak

Re: Sudden comb growth, 3y/o hen
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 10:17:34 PM »
Guess this is unusual.

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 11:11:45 PM »
This is a new one on me so I don't really have any ideas or thoughts of what it could be. Is there anything else unusual about her other than her comb and she's not laying? Is she still eating and acting normal otherwise? Does her eyes look clear and alert? And has there been any weight gain or loss? Is she as active and moving around like before?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 11:15:29 PM by Sharon Yorks »
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

dak

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 11:08:27 AM »
She is completely normal other than that.  She can hang out with the layers and free range until she lays or not.  She is a rare favorite who won't get culled.

John

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 02:50:00 PM »
How about a photo of that comb?

jeeperspeepers-r4us

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 04:25:46 PM »
Is there any heat in the comb

dak

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 11:38:52 PM »

I'll see what I can do, though you would have to see what it was prior to the growth to appreciate the change.

dak

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 11:35:44 PM »

Well, I have pics, but posting pics is an ongoing issue for me.  Please don't try to run through the instructions again,  it's like talking to a wall.

John, is there an email I can forward them to and you can post them?

John

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 08:26:13 AM »
John, is there an email I can forward them to and you can post them?
Sure, just send them to mine.  You can see a member's email address by clicking on their name, in the upper left corner of their post.
John@ChickHatchery.com

dak

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 12:37:37 PM »
Pictures are sent. Thanks John.

John

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 02:44:45 PM »
Hi John,
These are the pictures of the 3 y/o (2010) hens comb.  It is such a change for her.  There has been no injury, just growth this spring.  Her two hatchmates are normal and laying great right now.  Better than I expected for 3 y/os.
Clare

Beth C

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 09:36:03 AM »
It looks to me like it's more than the comb - the rest of the tissue around her face, especially her eyes, looks swollen, too.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 10:53:56 AM »
Don't want to seem unkind, but with those black eyes and the misshapen comb I would not want to breed from her anyway.  If she is a pet, just enjoy her for what she is.  She may or may not have hormone issues, I would guess probably so, but if you would be in a better position to know than we are. 

dak

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 08:24:47 PM »
Don't want to seem unkind, but with those black eyes and the misshapen comb I would not want to breed from her anyway.  If she is a pet, just enjoy her for what she is.  She may or may not have hormone issues, I would guess probably so, but if you would be in a better position to know than we are.

If you enlarge the last pic you can see the eye is a long way from Black.  The misshapen, enlarged comb is a new issue it has been normal for years.  Thus my question.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 08:42:52 PM by John »

dak

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 10:27:57 PM »
Update - This hen died yesterday.  I found her in the coop.  She had been free ranging the day before, which is remarkable in the fact that she has a huge tumor in her abdomen.  I believe it was ovarian in origin, as I could not find any normal ovarian tissue. 
Clare
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 08:48:38 AM by John »