Author Topic: Black split (to Lav) and BBS  (Read 4025 times)

mustangsaguaro

Black split (to Lav) and BBS
« on: April 18, 2013, 10:02:35 AM »
There is someone over on FB that wants to buy eggs from me and all my chicks hatch out Lav or Lav split. Now she has BBS Ameraucanas and she is wanting to know if she ends up getting a Black split male from my eggs can she use that bird in her BBS pen?

My understanding from this genetics stuff is the black split bird will be carrying the Lav gene and if she mixes that w/ her BBS flock who knows what could come up color wise from the offspring chicks? Another question I have is when breeding BBS to BBS are the blacks considered pure blacks w/ this type of mating or are the BBS blacks considered splits too?

Thanks

Beth C

Re: Black split (to Lav) and BBS
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 10:43:21 AM »
Using a lavender split in BBS is a bad idea. Any time you introduce a recessive gene it can pop up later and create real headaches, and I think even more so if it's mixed with blue. Some people still confuse the two to begin with, and I can see her selling blue chicks as lavender and lavender chicks as blue.  :o

Also, with lavender being a new variety that still needs a lot of work, we're crossing to black to improve them because the blacks are much better. So if you take a line of BBS and add in bird that comes from lavender, you're taking a step backward, because even though it's visually black, it's still descended from birds of the lavender variety that need a lot of improvement, as opposed to birds from the black variety that we're using to do the improving, if that makes sense.

Lavender is recessive, so a bird carrying only one copy of the gene will be visually black. A bird carrying one copy of a recessive gene (lavender, recessive white, etc.) is a split. Blue is dominant, so if a bird carries one copy of the gene, it will be visually blue, and if it carries two copies it will be splash. A visually black bird from a BBS mating would not carry any copies of blue and therefore wouldn't be a split.

Hope I haven't given you an eye-twitch, lol. If you really want to get one, here's a thread to check out:
http://ameraucana.org/forum/index.php?topic=1733.0