Author Topic: Leg Color  (Read 2935 times)

Holiday Hatch

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Leg Color
« on: April 18, 2013, 12:53:09 PM »
This is Linda Ferguson in Northern California with another question.  I'm still fairly new at raising Wheaten/Blue Wheaten/Splash Wheaten and would like some clarification on leg color.  My understanding is the leg color should be slate.  However, I have one Splash Wheaten hen who has dark yellow/green leg color.  I've never used her eggs for hatching because I think the leg color would be a disqualifier.  Can someone please give me more information on this?  I'm waiting on delivery of my copy of "A Guide to Poultry Breeding" by Ralph Sturgeon which should be here any day.  Thank you for your help - Linda   

Mike Gilbert

Re: Leg Color
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 06:25:42 PM »
On this particular issue I don't believe Ralph's book will help.   It was written a long time ago, and he bred mainly Barred and White Plymouth Rocks.    You are correct about the willow colored shanks.   These birds should not be used for breeding, as willow should be treated as a D.Q. for showing, and your hen would pass on the yellow epidermis gene to 100% of her offspring.  Since it is a recessive, her offspring would not show it unless they also inherited the same gene from their sire, but they would be carriers and keep on passing it to their chicks.

Holiday Hatch

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Re: Leg Color
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 10:36:35 PM »
Mike - Thank you for verifying what I thought was correct about shank color and the correct name of willow.  I appreciate the clear explanation of the recessive gene not showing up in offspring if both parents don't have it; but the trait still being passed on.    Thanks again - Linda