Author Topic: cochin with ameraucana. will they mix?  (Read 6077 times)

cochin with ameraucana. will they mix?
« on: February 25, 2006, 11:11:29 PM »
Are cochin bantams too mellow to be penned up with ameraucana bantams? I would like to keep them together in my pen which is 10’ x 3.5’. I have found two cochins and am looking for two ameraucanas. Do you think they would get along fine or will the ameraucanas pick on and or kill the cochins?

Thanks Dustin

jwoodhaven

• ABC Lifetime Award
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.woodhavenpoultry.com
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 07:31:19 AM »
We have black and blue cochins in flat feather and frizzle and blue and black ameraucans that we have had together after we are done breeding. We take all the bantam males and put in one pen and all the bantam females in another. The cochins will breed the ameraucanas and vis-versa.
Jerry

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 07:24:44 PM »
usually you can mix any flock together as long as you don\'t have just one. having eaquel numbers or nearly equal wil prevent too much picking and or domination problems.
we mis large fowl and bantams too, but usualy only until fall, once we seperate them wo don\'t let the bantams back into the general population.
Cochen bantams are a lot larger than most bantams, and standard cochins are huge by comparison, but they are docile enough that their size shouldn\'t bee too much of a problem

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 09:38:51 PM »
Yes, cochin and ameraucana bantams will mix and the results are very intersting to say the least. I have 3 three mixed breed hens (two blue-bluelaced and a bluelaced-gold) hens that are the result of yarding a black cochin rooster with what looks to be a bbred easter-egger. They lay tinted eggs, have feathered-feet, no beards or whiskers. One of the blue-bluelaced hens is an excellent mother and will probably be kept for that purpose. Those four plus a blue-wheaten easter-egger were all penned with a partridge cochin and the \"good mother\" sat a mixed nest and hatched a dozen.

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 11:23:32 PM »
For now I am just planning to get two each bantam cochins and ameraucana hens and just want to make sure they will get along. When I has a kid we had Rhode island reds and Cornish crosses together free ranging. The reds killed every Cornish cross we had. I don’t want to repeat that mess. A lady here has some cochin rosters and if I ever find an ameracauna hen I can probably put them together for a cross. I like the idea of a cochin like chicken that will lay blue green eggs. That would be cool. Do your crosses look more cochin or ameraucana or…? Snl farms, do you have any pictures we could see. Is it allowed to show mixed breed pics on this sight or do the “powers that be” frown on that?

Dustin  

John

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 05:02:30 PM »
do the “powers that be” frown on that?

...and a voice came from the clouds, \"Thou Shalt not...\"
It would look even more powerful if I had used bold print. :rolleyes:
Actually it is fine.  This is the official forum of the ABC, so we don\'t want to promote non-Standard bred poultry.  We can talk about it and maybe even learn from the experiences of crossbreeding and crossing varieties.
Some of us started with mixed breed birds and some still keep some around the barnyard.  They certainly aren\'t for show, but they are chickens just the same.    

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 12:47:22 PM »
I apologize to the forum for straying from our stated purpose.

John

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 12:52:49 PM »
You\'re not straying...it\'s all good conversation.