Author Topic: Leaky Lavender?  (Read 5229 times)

John

Leaky Lavender?
« on: May 07, 2013, 09:35:01 PM »
I noticed this lavender LF chick in one of the pens yesterday. He/she has white in the wing and on the breast.  The tail feathers don't show any white (yet).  I won't keep the bird to breed from, but would like to know what gene(s) are causing this.

Mike Gilbert

Re: Leaky Lavender?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 07:59:26 AM »
Mottling?   It's hard to see all the white from the photos.

HarryS

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 09:55:48 AM »
John,
   Are going to pursue that mutation.  If not I am sure there would be some that would love to have that bird.  That color in LF Orpingtons have commanded a large revenue. 
    I have blacks I bought from someone that has thrown some chicks that look like they may be mottled but I culled them all since I am after pure blacks and not ones that carry some odd gene mutations. 
Harry Shaffer

John

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 10:04:02 AM »
I am sure there would be some that would love to have that bird.

He is free to any ABC member that wants him and maybe I'll find more like him in a week or so when I get a chance to sort thru the growing birds.

dak

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 11:11:01 PM »
What is the leg/shank pigment like?  In the line of Mottles I have you can sex them by the lack of pigment in the males.

Also, mottled birds are apparent at hatch by their tuxedo pattern.

John

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 09:27:08 AM »
What is the leg/shank pigment like?
Dark slate.  You can see the toes in one of the photos above.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 11:48:16 AM »
I only suggested it might be mottling because I couldn't think of any other explanation.  I hope no one took that as gospel.   The markings really don't look that much like mottling upon closer inspection.   

jeeperspeepers-r4us

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 05:10:50 PM »
Hmmm new variety "Paint Lavender Ameraucana"

John

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 11:58:47 PM »
Paint
I was looking into that too, but from the photos I've seen this doesn't really look like paint either. ;)
http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=109435#Post109435

Beth C

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 01:53:34 PM »
Maybe it's an Appy-cauna?  ;D

HarryS

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 04:29:43 PM »
I think Mike was on the money with his conception of a lavender mottled.  You can see one that went off on RareBreedAuctions of a large fowl Orpington. 
Harry Shaffer

dak

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 07:33:19 PM »
Mottled chicks have a very distinct tuxedo pattern.  I'm sure John would have noted this at hatch.  probably just a variant of leakage. 
The two chicks on the left are Mottled (Black and Blue).  The two on the right are split to Mo. They hatched from eggs from Joseph Woodiel. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 09:16:24 PM by John »

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 09:31:43 AM »
I'm not so sure the difference in chick down would have been that noticable in the lavender variety.  But I agree the wierd colored birds are probably not mottled.