Author Topic: Breeding question  (Read 3701 times)

Nicole Hauck

Breeding question
« on: May 12, 2013, 07:28:55 AM »
What would happen if I bred a wheaten or blue wheaten rooster with a splash or black hen?  Does anyone know?  I currently have 2 splash from one bloodline, a black from another bloodline and I have 2 sets of wheatens and blue wheatens in the incubator.

I'm really focusing on egg color right now to sell for eating only.  I have the most beautiful blue egg color with all 3 hens.  I'm also not quite sure if I'm going to breed the wheatens with my black or splash hens or not.  I'm very curious to what the turnout would be.  I just rehomed my black Ameraucana rooster since he was too submissive and would not leave the coop/run to keep an eye on the flock for hawks.  Plus my older hens were picking on him and it was very stressful for him.  He was a beautiful boy too.

Thanks

Mike Gilbert

Re: Breeding question
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 09:07:44 AM »
Mongrel easter eggers.

KalJen Farm

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 09:40:56 AM »
Yes, Mr. Gilbert is right. I actually have a few of those myself from my black buff matings..........their interesting lill birds.

John

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 09:50:42 AM »
I'm really focusing on egg color right now to sell for eating only.
If you are only looking to have backyard birds provide the bluest eggs for your table and market then I don't think the cross would matter.  As Mike said the results wouldn't be Ameraucana chickens by definition, but they may be good producers of blue eggs.   

Holiday Hatch

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 01:06:55 PM »
Nicole - I have a Splash Hen that came from an egg I purchased to be Wheaten/Blue Wheaten or Splash Wheaten.  She didn't have any red in her at all and looked exactly like a Splash Hen, but I thought she still might be a Splash Wheaten Hen without the red color.  (This is my first year hatching eggs from the flock I started last year.)  Crossed with my Wheaten Rooster, I got dark blue chicks and some lighter blue chicks.  I could post pictures but mine won't look exactly like yours.  They're turning out to be really pretty little blue chicks.  Linda

Nicole Hauck

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 01:46:49 PM »
Thank you for the replies! 

I'm not even sure I'm keeping a rooster yet(I don't want to inbreed and hatch the wrong eggs), but I absolutely love the egg color of my B/B/S and the colors that my 6 wheaten/blue wheaten hatched.  I was able to hatch 6 out of 7 eggs.  My 7th egg fully grew and the veins were still red, but it was gone like a still born.  I have 2 wheatens and 4 blue wheatens according to the down color!

I've seen people use their eggs in showing too.  I'd think that would be kinda neat, but if I decide to breed the wheatens, l'll need a new bloodline with roughly the same egg color.  Ameracuana's are my absolute favorite breed and I love all the colors.