Author Topic: Varmit Proofing?  (Read 3910 times)

VanAlpaca

Varmit Proofing?
« on: June 09, 2013, 11:00:29 AM »
What is your tried and true method for keeping varmits out of the coop. Have had 13 kills in the last 6 days. Rocks in the holes and around the borders outside isn't working, neither are patio bricks around the inside and outside border. I laid down plywood inside last night as it was a dirt floor, but it isn't a great job, nothing nailed down or cut to fit.

I've got 2 other coops to protect and can't afford to lose more birds. I'm also starting construction on my Turkey / Guinea coop so want to get the base construction right so I don't have to worry about varmits.

Big thanks, you guys are my go-to experts since you've all had chickens so long and I'm such a newbie.

DeWayne Edgin

Re: Varmit Proofing?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 02:07:52 PM »
Well my pens and coops just sit on the ground. So i dug a ditch around the edges and buried cement blocks in the ground. I then set the pens on the ground were the cement blocks are buried. You can also use big rocks if you don't have cement blocks to. Another thing i use is a dog. I tied my Black lab beside my coops to keep coons and foxes from getting close. I sometimes leave a light turned on at night just to discourage predators from coming in.

jerryse

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 06:37:10 PM »
I use railroad ties around the exterior and a black lab.Game cameras,live traps and for the really smart ones traps.It is a never ending job.

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 11:55:13 PM »
My coop sits on buried cement blocks and the outside yard is just chicken wire but about 6-8 inches is turned outward on the ground with a little dirt thrown on it.  If they dig they will run into the wire.

But my tried and true method is pictured to the left.  With her I don't have to worry about my pens, I let them free range everyday, they just get locked up at night.  I've only lost two birds in the five years that I've had my Pyrennes.  My biggest losses in the past have been other peoples dogs, but we have bear, coyote, bobcat etc., around here also.  The woods are right behind my hen house.
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

John

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 04:24:32 PM »
I'm pretty much in line with Linda.  I have wire buried as a "rat wall".  I also have extension springs on all my pen doors so they stay closed, even without being latched.  Our German Shepherd has been a big help over the past 8 years.  He generally was loose and stayed on our property.  I believe that just by leaving his scent all around the barnyard and near the pens kept most predators away and there is woods all around.  Our new dog, Buddy, a Shepherd/Husky cross, may not be as good at the job to start with but I'm sure he'll do great as he matures.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 05:13:00 PM by John »

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 09:53:02 PM »

Did something happen to Jack, or are you now a two-dog family?

John

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 10:06:34 PM »
Did something happen to Jack, or are you now a two-dog family?
Hip Dysplasia and a lot of pain happened to Jack, so he isn't in pain anymore.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 07:52:48 AM »
Sorry.  I know how much you guys thought of that dog.  The puppy looks real cute.

Beth C

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 08:21:33 AM »
John, so sorry to hear about Jack. The little guy sure is cute. Pups have a way of healing the heart...

I think you're right about just leaving their scent. Knock on wood, I've never had a predator problem, other than a hawk that got a couple loose birds a few years ago. I think it's because my chicken coop sits in the middle of the pasture, so anything that gets in there has to get past 2 horses, 3 dogs & 7 goats.