Author Topic: Popularity of bantams  (Read 2575 times)

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Popularity of bantams
« on: June 15, 2013, 02:22:49 PM »
Mike, It seems like the demand for bantams has waned the last few years. It seems like everyone wants LF. This is not only for Ameraucanas, but other breeds also. Maybe this is just a phase we are going through and will turn around down the road.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 09:07:52 PM by John »
Gordon Gilliam

John

Re: Re: Canfield, OH - June 8, 2013
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 02:58:37 PM »
It seems like everyone wants LF.
Not to get off the topic too far, but I think part of the reason for increased demand for LF is that with the increase of backyard flocks, overall, more folks are wanting standard breed chickens even though they don't plan to show.  Education and promote are key. 

Beth C

Re: Canfield, OH - June 8, 2013
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 05:12:03 PM »
Given the cost of feed, you'd think bantams would be gaining popularity! Anyone want to trade a flock of ravenous LF for some bantams?? :o

DeWayne Edgin

Re: Re: Canfield, OH - June 8, 2013
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 05:47:41 PM »
Maybe it is the size of large fowl eggs. Most people want the bigger eggs for eating. I never had any bantams before and i just like the bigger birds better, but each to his or her own.

Russ

Re: Canfield, OH - June 8, 2013
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 09:42:35 PM »
Given the cost of feed, you'd think bantams would be gaining popularity! Anyone want to trade a flock of ravenous LF for some bantams?? :o

Amen to that  :-\ made the decision to eliminate all the other breeds (L.F. Buff Brahma and Blue Jersey Giants) here. Due to the feed bill and needed room to be able to raise the number of chicks I wanted. Want to talk about ravenous, feed 12+ Brahma and 12+ Giants  :o (not to mention the chicks) strictly Ameraucana now lol with 3 of the varieties being Bantams  ;D