Author Topic: Insects in poultry feed  (Read 3088 times)

John

Insects in poultry feed
« on: June 22, 2013, 01:33:51 PM »
Beetles, Housefly Larvae Open new Frontier in Animal Feed Sector
© 2013 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Ynsect
Working in partnership with several French research centers, Ynsect is leading a project called “Desirable” which will thoroughly explore how to effectively rear and process insects, and to develop sustainable applications for fish and poultry feed.
We aim to bring the potential of insect products and services to a wide range of industries.
 The first generation of our biorefineries creates high value products for animal feed...

Mike Gilbert

Re: Insects in poultry feed
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 01:57:06 PM »
I would like to donate about 10 million mosquitos to this cause.  Who do I contact to have them come and catch them?

Actually, it could be a very useful and effective idea.  I don't know why nobody thought of it before, but maybe the technology was not available heretofore.    I know my birds love the crickets that hide between my pen doors and the 2 x 4 threshold, they (the birds) are there waiting when I open those doors once they catch on.  And they love to chase grasshoppers out on grass later in the summer.   With the deluge we have been experiencing lately, maybe all the grasshoppers have drowned this year, as I have not seen any yet.
Those pesky, stinking rosebeetles in the garden are another story.  I wish they WOULD all drown.

DeWayne Edgin

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 09:18:06 PM »
I would donate 10 million stink bugs!! We have them all through our house and i feed them to my chickens sometimes and they eat them. I told my wife that i was going to put a diaper on a few young chickens and bring them into the house to catch the stinky bugs!! She wouldn't go for it though. I run a water sprinkler on my yard from time to time so the worms will come up at night for me to pick to. I feed them to my breeders to help them get protein and their eggs hatch much better for me to.

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 11:19:40 PM »
I actually returned a bag of feed once because there were bugs crawling around in it.  I think I must have been a first.  His response was, "I thought chickens liked bugs".  Yea, I just don't want whatever these are infesting my place.
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...